Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Picking a Major
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 pm 

Im trying to pick a major iv already completed a 1 and a 1/2 of college (as a political science major) MISTAKE! didnt like it as much as when i picked it. Im now looking to go into some sort of computer/IT related field. But im not intirely sure what i want to go into yet.

right now im loking at and highly considering Management Information Systems (heres a link to what it entails) http://www.umassd.edu/charlton/programs/mis/welcome.cfm

im wondering if that would be a good career choice? I love computers and im lost, there are tons of majors in Comps/programming but i dont know what to look at.

Any help would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:14 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I'm not a college student, nor a graduate, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Before you pick your major, really, really, really, really think about what you want from your job. Just saying you want to work with computers is pretty vague?

Do you want to repair them?

Do you want to build them?

How about both?

Do you want to write the software for them?

Do you want to manage the network?

How about the servers?

Do you want to advise others on computer solutions for their specific needs? (Living here on the forums doesn't count either, :wink: )

Do you want to teach others how to use a computer?

Do you want to teach others how to do any of the above?

There's a lot to think about when it comes to a career in IT. When I first got into computers, I wanted to be a Computer Repair Technician. I wanted to fix, build, and help others pick out parts for their rigs so I could build it. I kinda got my taste for it when I was a salesman at a Best Buy for the holidays. I learned a lot about printers, but other than that, it kinda sucked. I got a better taste of my dream job when I worked for PC Club computers as a tech/sales rep. I loved it, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. It's still retail, and I really want a job with a suit and a better income. I don't care much for programming, I have a temper so teaching is out, especially kids. I don't really want to do consulting because I like working with my hands too much.

I personally settled on being a Network or Server Administrator. I love PC networking and have always liked having complete control over something. (Err, that sounded bad, but you get the point.) Plus, as an admin, I get to be in charge (to an extent), and can make changes as I see fit. I still get to handle daily tasks, maintenance, handle special projects, and get a good salary. Also, I get to wear a suit (I know that might sound bad, but I hate wearing some dorky uniform).

My point is you have to really think about what you want from your job, and then start looking at what jobs are available that offer what you're looking for. Just picking a degree that sounds close to a job that might be what you want isn't good enough.

I apologize if I sound completely retarded. I'm tired and can't sleep. My writing skills are usually much better than this. Despite my seemingly drunken stupor of writing, I hope I've helped shine a different light on the situation.