Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Networking or Coding
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am almost done with 2 classes. One is networking essentials. The other, not important. Anyways I am starting a class on web site creation with html and all. I kinda like networking but would like to learn how to code more..yet i need to know a couple of things:

What field do I go into for networking- example network analyst.

Who gets paid more, i.t. or coders, and

What is the best code to learn and get in to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:33 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Programmers, network architects, DBA ... they can all get paid a decent salary or an exorbitant salary. If you are very good at what you do, you can make a lot of money. If you are average, you'll make decent money in any of those positions.

Choosing a career based on potential income is stupid; choose something that you enjoy doing.

Oh .. and making web pages .. that is for broke college kids trying to scrape up money for rent and weed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
Programmers, network architects, DBA ... they can all get paid a decent salary or an exorbitant salary. If you are very good at what you do, you can make a lot of money. If you are average, you'll make decent money in any of those positions.

Choosing a career based on potential income is stupid; choose something that you enjoy doing.

Oh .. and making web pages .. that is for broke college kids trying to scrape up money for rent and weed.

LMAO!!! So very well put Jip. Definitely don't choose a career with money in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This is a little about money, but it's just what I would like to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

maniacm0nk3y wrote:

If you really want to know, do some research.

The salary for a given position is more dependent on WHERE you are working than what you are doing. A DBA in NYC will get paid much more than a programmer in Boise, but that doesn't mean that DBAs always make more money.

www.salary.com .. if you do the research yourself, you might even get to look at some fancy graphs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

mmmmm.... fancy graphs......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:10 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
maniacm0nk3y wrote:

If you really want to know, do some research.

The salary for a given position is more dependent on WHERE you are working than what you are doing. A DBA in NYC will get paid much more than a programmer in Boise, but that doesn't mean that DBAs always make more money.

www.salary.com .. if you do the research yourself, you might even get to look at some fancy graphs.

This could not be more true (the crack about the college kids making web pages, doing what you love, and your career location). If you work in the field while you attend school you're doubling up on experience. Well established companies, not necessarily bigger and well known companies, will like this quality. If I were to tell someone applying for my company anything it would be this:
"Don't pad on your résumé. Discuss what you know and don't guess. Its better to excel at a one or two things and have a general understanding of everything else." This means don't focus on classes in data-mining if you're not a data guy and don't focus on router configuration if you're not a hardware guy.
For anyone newcomers choosing development, know that no matter what the course catalog says, college courses don't teach you how to program. Its your responsibility to build a knowledge of best practices and philosophies. Once you do then the programming language of-the-month won't matter. Good luck with your personal endeavors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:18 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Fantastic post .. welcome to the forum!

Please stick around .. we need more intelligent posters. :)