Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Learning Keyboarding vs learning typing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey all I hope you are all doing well.
I have been using the computer for a long time and I am mostly self taught. I have some time on my hands now so I decided to go back and learn some basics.

I have started to learn typing inorder to improve for 40 wpm to like 80wpm. I am learning a lot. however I starting to relize that typing and actually using a computer keyboard dont really seem to be the same thing.

I was wondering if I am in the right train of thought or am I just wrong?

Also I remember the F keys being on the left side of the keyboard. That seems to make more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:29 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. a QWERTY keyboard is essentially the same on both a typewriter as well as a computer so i'm unsure as to how you think its different. The alphanumeric keys are in the same locations on both a typewriter and a keyboard, the only thing different would be keys specific to each device, for example a computer probably doesnt have use for a paper feed button. and the locations of those keys vary depending on the manufacturer of the keyboard/computer, so there is no real way to teach someone to use the them. The most you can do is memorize where they are for your specific computer and apply your typing skills to them.

Post subject: re: typing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:36 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey 3DB,

I'll take a stab at what I think your talking about.

Are you referring to using the keyboard to type lots of text vs. just using the computer and it's programs?

Learning how to type text traditionally vs. just a line or two: Definitely worth the effort to have a good practice of typing with all your fingers. Allows you to really stream your thoughts ( not necessarily good in my case, LOL).

Keyboards vary and if you like your keys a certain way, get that keyboard. F-keys on the side or extra keys and functions. Some programs are geared toward such extra functions. I know I like having the dual rows of f-keys and extra ones on the side(i.e. Logitech G11).

Using the F-keys takes some extra effort if not longer fingers, ha. Practice makes perfect, I remember the days of correction tape, oppps, backspace, typeover and redo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I took keyboarding (typing) in school but I think Mavis Beacon software is pretty good as well. She teaches typing and 10-key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Queenof1 wrote:
I took keyboarding (typing) in school but I think Mavis Beacon software is pretty good as well. She teaches typing and 10-key.

Wow, I remember Mavis Beacon, that was the first program we bought that actually talked to you. I forgot how easy it was to impress us back in the day (early 90's)