Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LPI vs Red Hat for entry level certs?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:22 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I really don't know which to go with. I'm ultimately working towards a position of Linux/UNIX Network Administrator, but I've still got to get my feet in the door.

I've been looking at getting the LPIC I and LPIC II, but I could also go for something like an RHCT.

I'd be pairing this with a CCNA and some college. Any ideas which one would get a better job? I'm also in the greater Detroit area (SouthEast Michigan) BTW. Any input is greatly appreciated.

-ThatLinuxGuy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:15 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

For linux sys admin work, the RHCT is industry standard. LPIC is very (very) basic and is not necessary if you do any of the RHCT courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:43 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Would it matter if I had more than the basic Level of LPI cert? There's three seperate levels. Level I is approximately equal to a Linux+ cert, and Level II is a Jr SysAdmin. Level III is Sr SysAdmin.

Also, I've seen the prices for those Red Hat courses, and I don't think I could swing that kinda cash. With out taking the basics course, the price is still $4700, while the test itself is $350.

I usually study by internet research, books, and setting up my own labs. I've actually been looking at this book for the RHCT.

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Enginee ... 535&sr=8-1

How about Red Hats certs compared to that of Novell's for SuSE? Does their NCLE mean anything in the job market?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:33 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Having read the descriptions of those courses, I think that passing level 3 might give you enough info to get by in a very junior sys admin position running only linux.

Maybe.

A good education is expensive. There is no way to get around that and you do get what you pay for. The RH certs can help you land a job with a decent salary that will pay the cost of those courses 10x over in the first year.

Having said that, all you *need* to do is pass the exams .. that is all employers look for .. so if you can study and pass on your own, you can save the cost of the courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:29 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

So it sounds like RHCE it is. I know the test is expensive, but I'm not in any terrible rush to pass, say, next month. I've got time :) Plus, I know the test is completely hands on, which means I don't have to worry about answering some dumb questions, so long as I have the skills and knowledge to really do the work.

That you're right. A good education is expensive. I guess that's everyone and their brother gives loans to college students, right?

I did have one off-topic question. With a CCNA and RHCT or RHCE, would having a VCP (VMWare Certified Professional) cert make much difference? From what I understand, there's a big buzz about server virtualization. I figure most Red Hat shops would be using Xen or KVM, but at any rate, would having a cert in virtualization be good, bad, or indifferent?

Thanks for the info too, Jip. It's much appreciated and I'm reading RHEL docs as I write this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

No worries .. this is what we are here for :)

Cisco and RedHat make a great combo .. I don't think you need to worry about VCP as well. Get those certs, get a job and some experience .. then you'll know what to learn next. Could be VCP, could be an ITIL course ... it really depends on your job(s).

What I'm saying is that the RHCP and Cisco certs should be enough to land an entry-level job.