Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which are marketable online education degrees that I can spe
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 pm 

Hi! I’d like to be an educator but I’m not sure which good education degrees that I can specialize in? The ones with good pay and don’t take so long to complete? I’d like to pursue the courses online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

What level of education do you want to teach at?

High School or K-12 (American) usually requires a Bachelor of Education, which is only usually available after you already have a degree, experience, or other qualifications that qualify you. The US varies.

College (Canada) - simply requires a minimum amount of work experience, with some education, and/or industry qualifications and certifications. Your education only limits you in what you can call yourself (Instructor, Associate Professor, Professor...etc).

University - You tend to need a graduate level educational background in your topic or field, with some form of specialization. Most teaching posts are also Research posts. There are many levels of educator at a University level, with all the pretentious, self-righteous bull that goes with it. Most delivery is lecture with theoretical lab periods (usually directed by associate professor or grad student).

I teach at the Post-Secondary level for a College in south-western Ontario. I am Associate Faculty as I am a part-time contractor and teach certification and network engineering courses in the School of Information Technology. I am also a full faculty member at a private college in their Network Engineering program and teach certification as well as business communications courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Wolfmann wrote:
High School or K-12 (American) usually requires a Bachelor of Education, which is only usually available after you already have a degree, experience, or other qualifications that qualify you. The US varies.

AFAIK you don't need a bachelor's in education, but you do need a bachelor's degree (may have to be in the area you want to teach), a teaching certificate, and be approved (take a test or something like that) for that subject area. If you want more info, or a more definitive answer, tell me, and I can ask my dad (he's a high school teacher).

Post subject: Re : Which are marketable online education degrees that I ca
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 pm 

I suspect you’re asking about acquiring an education degree online. I know of a site providing distance education with a list of accredited colleges. The colleges all offer online distance learning, so it will be easy for you to do your studies as well as business simultaneously. See if they have programs that suit your needs. All the best!

Post subject: Re: Re : Which are marketable online education degrees that
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:16 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

alexWilliam wrote:
I suspect you’re asking about acquiring an education degree online. I know of a site providing distance education with a list of accredited colleges. The colleges all offer online distance learning, so it will be easy for you to do your studies as well as business simultaneously. See if they have programs that suit your needs. All the best!

May also want to see if any local colleges have an online/distance learning program.

Post subject: Re: Which are marketable online education degrees that I can
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:18 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Barrett wrote:
Hi! I’d like to be an educator but I’m not sure which good education degrees that I can specialize in? The ones with good pay and don’t take so long to complete? I’d like to pursue the courses online.

Oh yeah .. you sound exactly like the kind of person I want to teach my kids.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

While I dont agree with the snide comments, I have to ask the OP, do you think its practical to want to be a teacher which by its very nature is a social job where by you engage people on a personal level and yet expect to obtain the training via the internet?

Can you see the problem with that?

Do you know for a fact that teaching is your passion?
Somehow Im guessing its not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:35 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Quote:

Good thing you don't agree with snide comments, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Jipstyle wrote:
Quote:

Good thing you don't agree with snide comments, eh?

Im assuming were both mature enough to not start some ridiculous flame war.

I meet alot of people who have kids that dont know what they want to do. They dont have the money for college, they dont have the grades for a scholarship and they are just clueless as to what they are good at or have so many options and opinions thrown at them that they consider it overwhelming.

I think the fellow who started the thread might fit into that category. I drew that conclusion based on the following.

This guy comes on here being vague...

He wants to be a teacher...(of what I couldnt tell ya)

Doesnt want to go to college (because of money/time maybe?)

Wants to do his classes online.

And if he was so interested in everyones opinion, after making the post he would or responded by now.

Eh, all that just makes me think of someone that wants to have a good career but doesnt know what he/she wants to do yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yep, I came to the same conclusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:34 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Am I the only one who thinks its kinda suspicious that a new poster asks about an online degree, and then a short time later another brand new poster responds with a link...strange that neither of these people have posted since huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:16 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

For anybody seriously interested in something like this...

http://www.uvti.org/

They train industry people to teach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bathtbgin wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks its kinda suspicious that a new poster asks about an online degree, and then a short time later another brand new poster responds with a link...strange that neither of these people have posted since huh?

Well there goes my theory lol