Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A+ Certification
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I wanted to get Network +, Server + and Security + certified and take the free classes during summer but the prerequisite is that I have my A+ cert first. How hard is the A+ certification test? I went to the CompTIA website and looked at the sample questions for the test and I knew all the answers, it seems pretty easy. I just don't want to waste 180 hours for a long A+ course if I really really don't need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:13 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Its not hard, just study because they throw in a bunch of stuff no one knows or needs to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

your lucky they have the new a+. the 2003 A+ certification was a pain in the ass, because of the stupid shit you had to memorize

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:31 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

tyzorg wrote:
your lucky they have the new a+. the 2003 A+ certification was a pain in the ass, because of the stupid shit you had to memorize

Yeah, all the dos stuff was wack. Knowing the hex memory location for the videocard driver is pretty pointless now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:00 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, you'd think that it's all worthless. Then you end up in Timbuktu needing to Macguyver a radio out of a a paperclip and some chewing gum. Knowing the pinouts can really be helpful then. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

you may want to invest in software that preps for a+ certification. My school uses "Transcenders". and basically give you the test (for preperation).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:39 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

alex911 wrote:
tyzorg wrote:

Yeah, all the dos stuff was wack. Knowing the hex memory location for the videocard driver is pretty pointless now.

I took the old hardware test from 2001...they still had ISA slots on there and questions like "what is the only processor without an L2 cache?" (which was the first celeron processors in case you were wondering :wink: ) lol...

It wasn't incredibly hard to pass both hardware and software tests... If you know the difference in ddr1 and 2 and all the acronyms the hardware one isn't that bad... the software one was a bit harder but not too bad. I just used Mike Myers A+ study book that I got from the library... you can also save money by purchasing a test "voucher" instead of paying for the exam outright...got mine from http://www.totalsem.com/ for my A+ and Network+ :idea:
I had networking classes in college so the network+ was pretty easy for me...it's basically just all the hardware on the network side along with the OSI model and different networking protocols/connection types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

A+ Essentials and IT Technician are more streamlined, and much more relevant than the 2003 and pre-2003 A+ which were separated between Hardware and Operating Systems.

There is also a larger precentage on professionalism and customer service in the new exams, specifically the IT Technician and Remote Support secondary exams.

My recommendation...take Essentials (you have to) and specialize in IT Technician. It's the most well-rounded cert.