Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: physical requirements for IT?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:19 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I was thinking of getting into IT or other computer repair/maintenance and due to a back surgery I have a 20 lb weight limit as well as somewhat limited bending/twisting ability (which is why Im switching jobs, Im no longer able to work in my last field).

so I was wondering what you guys working in the computer field had to do on a day to day basis?

is there a lot of lifting (like heavy servers)? a lot of bending/twisting (running cables etc)?

any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:42 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

If you work on software, you don't have to worry about physical requirements other than being able to sit for long periods of time.

I would avoid any kind of technician certification and concentrate on software skills: programming, or system, network and database administration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:04 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

thanks for the info.

I was kinda figuring that.. I could get an A+ cert easy as Ive been playing with computers since the AIM 65 back in the late 70s but never got into programming aside from a small amount 6502 and z80 assembly stuff and later some Visual Basic for DOS.. wish I had now though.

but A+ would only get me stuff like repair and I dont think I could heave around computers from bench to bench all day :(

I know a bit about home networking but nothing that would get me into a decent job :(

looks like maybe some night courses in programming or networking are in order..

on that note.. would a job doing network maint have a lot of physical stuff (tracing bad cables, twisting around to see behind racks, having to go up into dropped ceilings etc)? or is it mainly a desk job?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:13 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I guess it depends. Usually the job description will mention the weight requirement. I have a desk job but I believe that I'm supposed to be able to lift 20 lbs. and I think the IT folks have to be able to lift 50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:55 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

yeah I would think IT guys would have to be able to move monitors, large servers, crawl around for cables and such. 50 lbs is way more than Im supposed to lift.

thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 am 
Klamath
Klamath

you can try and find a data entery job were all you do is type all day?

or even a call center technician? were people call you and ask question and you walk them thrue things..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:54 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I could, and thats the route I may actually wind up going, but man... boooooring :(

at least fixing PCs or network troubleshooting would be interesting (obviously I like working with computers, I do lots of side jobs for friends etc so I know Im half way decent at it). but doing it full time may be beyond my physical abilities.

data entry or call center? eeeeeewwwww

but beggers cant be choosers I suppose.

thanks, and any and all other suggestions welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:18 am 

I think the Help Desk job would be boring for you, and low paying ( very dead end ). It is a starting position. I think you should go into networking. You decide how you will twist your body if you even touch the cables. Some companies you have someone local look at the equipment and you just login. The network job will not be boring and you will always be able to grow. Get your Cisco certs and you can acctully make 6 figures is you get your CCIE. or just go into management if you have a degree.
I think you will find networking a job that will help you support your financal needs and the ablity to grow.
I did helpdesk and there are just to many.....stupid people using computers that should not even be allowed to touch them, and you will be needed to help them. Get your CCNA and grow.
IMHO . Good luck friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:10 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

As a Technician it would be reasonable to assume that you could be lifting 30-50lbs servers, but not all the time.

There's enough out of shape IT people to prove the physical requirements of the field aren't too heavy. Besides, I don't trust anyone in IT that isn't fat or can't laugh at a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

my doc wont clear me for more than 20 lbs.

Im amazed at all the cool jobs that need you to lift more than 20 lbs :(

I wound up retraining in another field, Ill just do computer jobs on the side.

thanks to all who replied.