Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: cert/degree
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:10 pm 

im in very confusing situation.ive read about cisco,itt, and t.c.
i intend to go to some school or course but now....
im interested to goto henry ford college couse they have cisco classes(2 years) and im more interested about cisco..or to goto itt-institute here in detroit and learn for network administrator..or some other it branche.
so i would like to know your opinion..better cisco 2 years(im not sure if i get diploma or just certificate)or to go to itt institute and finish something else for 2 years.what do u thing guys?i know itt is more expensive and hfcc is cheaper..for quality of service..not familiar. itt is a "wide area" and cisco is only for cisco equipment.what are possibilities after that with cisco..and what are with itt??
ive tried to research leittle bit here and there but im still confused.
please reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:25 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Please read the dozen or so threads in which dozens of different people discuss exactly this dilemma.

If, after you've read all those threads, you have a specific question .. bring it on back here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:30 pm 

I would tend to say you should stay away from ITT Tech. My future brother-in-law went there and spent like $48,000 for a two year degree and the job they guarantee to get for him was a job working for the geek squad making $8.25/hr. Most classes at Henry Ford are transferrable credits to most any other university or college. I live in Dearborn Heights so I know the area you are in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:57 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get certificated for an computer tech. planning to get a cert. at city college of san francisco taking 21 units but hesitating because of the time issue.

Also, I prefer taking classes because it is hard for me to study independently.

does anyone suggest ccsf path or comptia?
any replies would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Post subject: community college
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:22 pm 

You are far better off going to a community college and picking up a two year degree towards pc repair or networking; depending on what your interests are. ITT and other trade schools similar to Devry and Phoenix will set you back at least $30,000 for what usually ends up being a subpar education. You come out with a degree that is virtually no different than a 2-year degree from a community college but that costs exponentially more. Go to a CC, get the degree, get some certs and get a job. From there if you choose to get a bachelor's degree you can carry many of the credits (especially the core credits) to the 4-year university. On the other hand, I believe, credits from ITT are virtually non-transferable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:01 pm 

thanks for the quick response!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:14 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

+1 for no ITT. Go to a Community College and get a transferrable Associates in CS or IT or Networking (Administration or Engineering). Pair your AS with a couple certs like A+, CCNA, MCSA (not as hard as you think), and land yourself an entry level SysAdmin job. Then go back to a University for a BS in IT or Networking, and try for a couple more certs. For a windows guy, an MCSE will bring in better money. For Linux/UNIX guys, RHCE, NCLE and/or SCNA (Sun microsystems Certified Network Administrator), maybe upping that CCNA to a CCNP or higher will definitely help in finding a job. Getting a 4 year degree from a university will give you a much better education than DeVry or ITT will. and won't put you in the poor house. What good is a $60k/yr job when you pay a ton of it for student loans?

The job market sucks right now all over, and it's especially hard in IT with so much outsourcing. (I remember when I had daily problems with AT&T DSL, and the one guy I always talked to was "Yosef" from Bangledesh. Nice guy, really knew his stuff).