Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help! Security vs Telecom
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:54 am 

Hi all,

recently i was talking to my teacher and i told her that i wanted to get into IT Security. She told me that it requires a lot of patience and looking at code and suggested that Telecom is really the place to be now. Can someone give me a little insight on the both of them so that i can narrow down my decision.

I will also be finishing my associates in Networking at ITT Tech and transferring over to Devry. I know they have a Security degree but if i choose to go into Telecom do they offer that kind of degree? I looked but could relate anything to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 am 
Klamath
Klamath

i would rather go into security because theres so much more demand for it .. like security will always be in demand because its something people need.. just my 2 cents anyways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:37 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Networking and security go hand in hand, for obvious reasons.

When you start studying, you'll study networking first and then security. You have to know how a network functions in order to secure it and you need to know how a computer communicates with a network before you can secure it.

'Telecom' isn't a field so much as it is a subset of networking .. it is a specific type of networking.

Sheldon is absolutely correct in saying that the demand for security is not going anywhere. It is a field that is always evolving, so it should remain challenging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:03 am 

I am the IT Dept Chair for ITT Tech in Baton Rouge LA and would recommend staying on at ITT Tech. Infosec is fire hot right now and most likely in the future. I just accepted an offer from an IT company locally and will be leaving ITT Tech in a week or so but that was not because of ITT. But instead it was because I hold a Masters in Infosec and someone offered me some real sick amount of money to leave. I have been placing students in first quarter yes first quarter in IT jobs not internships. Companies are desperate to get IT talent.

I also have seen almost my entire CNS dept convert to Infosec because the market is so hot. On the other hand the Electronics Communication (telecom) is hot also but not to the degree Infosec is. I have to say Infosec all the way. Don't give up money is on the way when you complete your degree. I make close to 6 figs with 10 years of IT experience mostly non related to Infosec and a Masters degree. Also Project Management is starting to really be looked at by companies. They want PM's who have Infosec. Get the Infosec dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:16 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

'close to 6 figures' with a decade of experience is not something I would brag about. If you have a graduate degree in the field and 10 years of experience in information security and you are making less than 6 figures, you are underpaid.

Is your Masters from ITT Tech or a real college?

Where do you live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:12 am 

I don't know where some of you guys live but I live in the deep south not california or the east coast. Here things are cheaper. For instance I have a nice 1500 sq ft home on almost an acre of land and paid 70 grand for it. I own both my cars and only have debt for student loans. So close to 6 figs is great here. Avg wages in my state are not that high but neither is the economy. My salary here is way more if I move to Cali or to DC but here in the cheaper mid/deep south it is fantastic wages. My dollar goes farther than most. Also people need to get real about IT and other fields always paying super high 6 fig amounts with little to no experience. Trust me they do on the east coast or the west coast but in the south and the midwest not so much. But like I said our economy and taxes are just cheaper here. I hate to say it but my degree is from a real college and ITT is a real college also. I got my Masters from a Brick and Mortar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:57 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I stand corrected .. like you, I live in an area where the salary is lower than average, but the cost of living is much lower.