Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help locating a book
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:58 am 

First off, I'm not quite sure that this is the correct section to put this in, if its not I'm sorry but I didn't see anywhere else that looked like a better option.

So background: Past the actual use of a computer I'm fairly computer illiterate. I can open up my computer and tell you what most of the parts are, but I've got and a very basic idea of what they do. But I want a better computer, and I'd like to know what I'm getting when I look around. I keep searching online, but i get so lost in the acronyms and speeds that don't actually mean anything to me yet that I lose the big picture.

Is there a book or website out there that could help me out?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:27 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Book: "How computers work" by Ron White --Very fundamental, a good place to start.

Updated version: " How Computers Work "

How stuff works

another one
Don't worry about it being dated. Outside of the inner architecture of the processor, the fundamentals are the same.

Does this help, or were you looking for something a little more technical and in-depth?

There is a point where you will eventually have to memorize, or actually learn some of those terms that seem to be a little confusing or else you will never truly understand what is going on.

It all depends on how in-depth you want to go.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:27 am 
Klamath
Klamath

yea your in the right place... i would read a A+ Certification book but like you would int need to read it all just the chapters that explain what the computer parts do.. something that could help is even the maximum pc magazine

hope this helps... check out my A+ Certification sticky

Post subject: re: book
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:28 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

hey C,

Lots to read, and at 1st it's overwhelming. I'm not sure ur gona find A book to help w all ur ?'s. I've been reading here for 6mo and havn't made it thru all the sections yet but I usally find at least something that helps me with some answers or links to something. I lerked the forums for 6-weeks shopping for my last build(1st build in 13yrs) mostly cause I had to learn about all the new stuff going on(CPU cooling, graphics cards/cooling, HD's........).

I'd start one step at a time, pick something to research(cpu, PS or graphics card), maybe AMD vs Intel. Find some treads to read that may be relevant. Lots of things u need to read are on other sites too(manufacture, reviews). most forums have some tips, getting started, site link lists for u to use, good place to start. then remember shopping can help, shop, shop, shop. gets ur familar w spec.s and prices.

It helps to know what u want ur PC to do so u'll know what kinds of gear u'll need. and u'll get familar with the prices too. Using price can help narrow ones search. there's always a new thread here w people showing their shopping list and getting it reviewed buy others, that's a good place to brouse parts and read spec.s.

Good luck reading, :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:30 am 

Thanks a lot guys. I know there will be some memorization I just want to know the gist of the stuff behind what I'm memorizing before I get to that point.

Thanks for all the tips and references I'll check it all out.