Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where to go from here?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 am 

Currently I am at the New England Institute of Technology pursing my Bachelor's in Network Engineering. I will obtain my Associates degree in Network in June. I will finish out my Associates for sure in Networking.

I want my main focus to be Information Systems Management. My school does not offer such a "program". If I was to obtain my Associates and possibly transfer to another school, how would I go about having IS management as my main focus?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
-FadetoBright

Post subject: Re: Where to go from here?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

fadetobright wrote:
Currently I am at the New England Institute of Technology pursing my Bachelor's in Network Engineering. I will obtain my Associates degree in Network in June. I will finish out my Associates for sure in Networking.

I want my main focus to be Information Systems Management. My school does not offer such a "program". If I was to obtain my Associates and possibly transfer to another school, how would I go about having IS management as my main focus?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
-FadetoBright

Okay, are you actually looking for a technical position? Or a managerial position?

ISM is a managerial degree, and NOT something you're going to get a job with straight out of school. Lots of risk management and policy design. Essentially is a prep-course for CISSP. Now, if you get all goose-girl over the thought of a hard night of bumping ugly with a security policy, then go for it. If you're looking for hands-on with tech? Look elsewhere.

*I* have an ISM degree, mostly because my technical skills already surpassed what was being taught in standard ComSci degrees and I have had a lot of exposure to a wide variety of environments. I needed to learn the managerial side of it, as I tend to get embroiled in fairly high-echelon discussions with my clients. With managerial types, you can pound on the technical merits all day, every day. But if you can't actually sell them (by being able to speak to them on the low level that they can understand), technical merit means jack squat.

Had I not been in the position I'm in now, I'd have gone with a more traditional CompSci degree and would be a programmer or a general network admin somewhere. Now I'm still a network admin/architect, but I get paid for consulting time with clients getting their networks straightened out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:53 pm 

Well I'd like to be an Manager of Information Systems. So I'm thinking about getting my Bachelors in Business Administrations with a concentration in Computer Information Systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:26 am 

while that would give you the theoretical qualifications, it would still require you to devote time and money toward the CompTIA, Microsoft, and Cisco certs..

EDIT: I'm not saying that the degree alone isn't enough, but a competent manager should have the same or more professional certs to do the job effectively

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 am 

Well I'm changing my major to Business Management. I will (via my job) start working on certs. They have agreed to pay for everything (training/books/exams), since I will be studying on my own time, plus full time work and school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:46 am 
Klamath
Klamath

what certs are you going to aim to get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:24 am 

sheldon wrote:
what certs are you going to aim to get?

For now my MCDST & CCIE.

Eventually my MCSA/MCSE.