Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: In need of salary/wage advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm 

Hello. I am about to graduate from community college‎ with an associate's degree in Computer and Information Sciences. There was only a handful of really relevant classes -- the rest of the curriculum focused on business (law, communications, accounting, etc.). I am CompTia A+ Certified and I have six months experience as a technician in a computer service department of a large retailer and one year experience working as their IS tech. I left that job about 15 months ago to pursue my degree and now I am looking to re-enter the workforce. I am confident in my hardware and software skills. I have a firm grasp on wireless technologies and basic networking but I need to study for Network+.

What does the forum think a reasonable salary/wage for me would be?

I also know Java, Visual Basic, C#, C++ and SQL but have no practical or professional experience as a programmer. I enjoy programming but I don't have the time or money for a bachelor's degree right now (anticipating a wedding and possibly a house in the near future). Is it likely for me to find an entry-level software engineering position? I have my doubts but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Post subject: Re: In need of salary/wage advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I think, if you have programming skills, your best bet is to work on them and look for a programming job.

Admin positions are the kind of things you have to work your way up to, and non-specialized tech positions usually pay bupkiss.

Post subject: Re: In need of salary/wage advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:39 pm 

Chas wrote:
I think, if you have programming skills, your best bet is to work on them and look for a programming job.

Admin positions are the kind of things you have to work your way up to, and non-specialized tech positions usually pay bupkiss.

Thanks for the input. I'm not expecting a lot, personally, I just wonder what kind of pay to ask for without getting my resume tossed in the recycling bin. I was getting EXACTLY bupkiss working as an IS tech.

I've seen one "entry level" programming job on monster.com in the past but it seems like they're few and far between. That kind of job seems more challenging but more rewarding. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:12 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

This may give you a little better idea:

Pay per job

You can change both the area, and the job type at this site.

I wasn't sure exactly what job type you are wanting, but you can change it to any tech -type job, and any (somewhat) area of the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:00 pm 

reklaw wrote:
This may give you a little better idea:

Pay per job

You can change both the area, and the job type at this site.

I wasn't sure exactly what job type you are wanting, but you can change it to any tech -type job, and any (somewhat) area of the US.

Thanks for the tip!