Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: High School. PC tech?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:36 pm 

Hey guys. I'm in HS and all I know is that I love building, upgrading, fooling around with PCs etc. I would really like to get a job in PCs but I dont know much about the job oppertunities or degrees I need for them. I considered going into the airforce for computers ( seriously like the only job they offer on their site is a basicly just a vague "computers") because they'll pay for a good education. But I'm not sure what I would be doing. Any suggestions on jobs that pay more than "a little over minimum wage"? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:30 am 

www.bls.gov has a great start to finding different jobs offered in any field.

http://www.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?qu=computer&ct=OOH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 am 

Hey cool site thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

ok well i would say getting your CompTIA A+ would be a great start if your looking to enter the IT Field....

you should google it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:00 am 

sheldon wrote:
ok well i would say getting your CompTIA A+ would be a great start if your looking to enter the IT Field....

you should google it lol

This isn't a must have. I'm 21, and I work in the field. I don't have any certs, but I'm 4 months from my associates in Networking. If you want in now, get your A+ cert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:05 am 
Klamath
Klamath

fadetobright wrote:
sheldon wrote:

you should google it lol

This isn't a must have. I'm 21, and I work in the field. I don't have any certs, but I'm 4 months from my associates in Networking. If you want in now, get your A+ cert.

I'm not saying you must have it to be a IT lol.. im saying its a start and when people see it they will be more lenient to letting you work with there Computer... Would you give your broken car to a guy who says he knows allot about cars and he can fix it or would you give your car to a certified mechanic ...

another thing about A+ is that you don't void the warranty when you open "OEM" Machines such as "ACER and HP for example".

The A+ Cert also helps you become more marketable so when you apply for a job the employer will look at you(A+ certified) and he will look at the other applicant who is int certified but he says he knows about computers, the employer will pick the certified applicant....TRUST me i know lol b4 i was certified i applied for a job and i got turned down because i was not certified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:16 am 

sheldon wrote:
fadetobright wrote:
sheldon wrote:

you should google it lol

The A+ Cert also helps you become more marketable so when you apply for a job the employer will look at you(A+ certified) and he will look at the other applicant who is int certified but he says he knows about computers, the employer will pick the certified applicant....TRUST me i know lol b4 i was certified i applied for a job and i got turned down because i was not certified.

Not always, but I'm not saying an A+ cert. isn't a good thing to have.
It's different for everyone, I beat out 3 people with certs & a BS a degree and a few people with their associates for the job I have now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

do you have alot of experience working with pc's?

beside your bach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:26 am 

I'm in high school also and about to take my A+ test. Will most employers be open to hiring a teenager, and what would the pay be like for us with no other experience? I understand that it probably depends on where you live and all that, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:11 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

DaFeesh wrote:
I'm in high school also and about to take my A+ test. Will most employers be open to hiring a teenager, and what would the pay be like for us with no other experience? I understand that it probably depends on where you live and all that, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks

I'm 16, in high school, and am currently studying for my A+ certification. I have applied at two local small PC support and repair shops and they both are open to a 16 year old working on his A+. Granted, neither company has offered me a job yet, but I applied less than two weeks ago.

I do know that Best Buy hires 16 year olds, but I'm not sure for what positions.

EDIT: Fixed a spelling error.

Last edited by pcrobot on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:34 pm 

Wow thanks for all the tips guys. Your actually staying on topic too, for the most part. So lets just say I want to get my A+ cert. What steps do I take? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:17 am 
Klamath
Klamath

lol thats weird lol were all 16...but i am A+ certified........

STEP 1 : do your homework find out what books are good and what materials your going to need.

STEP 2 : read the books

STEP 3 : get as much hands on work as possible with computers and not just building them actually fixing them!....

STEP 4 : Find practice questions preferably 300+ A&Q with explanations

STEP 5 : Book your first exam witch should be 201-601 essentials.

STEP 6 : for 3 weeks before the exam study hard and the last 2 days witch should be the 2 days before the exam, study from 9am to 9pm both days

STEP 7 : Pass the exam and review the exam as much as you can when your doing the test to be sure everything is correct, re-read questions.

STEP 8 : Book your next exam witch should be 201-602(is the ideal designation)

STEP 9 : Re-peat STEP 6 and 7.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:30 pm 

I'm 16 also and taking A+ this weekend. Will definitely pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have a book for the 220-602 and I'm going to be buying a Q&A for the 220-602 that comes with a test generator on CD. If nothing else I can memorize all those questions and answers...

DaFeesh wrote:

Good luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:05 am 
Klamath
Klamath

DaFeesh wrote:

let us know how you did and what your percentage is !!! GOOD LUCK :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:05 am 

sheldon wrote:
do you have alot of experience working with pc's?

beside your bach?

I don't even have my BS yet, I will obtain my AS in Networking in June. Only experience I had prior to my job is working on my PC's at home. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:54 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

good good you should go for your CCNA after your done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 am 

Be careful what you study. Got my cert a couple years ago; there was so much networking and legacy hardware (not regular legacy, I mean stuff so old it is not around anymore) on the test. Just a heads up. So don't expect just hardware on your hardware test if that's the way you're going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 am 

If you want to go hard core, get the certs for Microsoft and Cisco.
If not, get experience. I ended up working p/t as a tech for my HS. After 7 years or so in IT, I came back to the district.

Many places want or advertise for candidates with certs, but an 18 y/o with 3 certs and 1 year experience will most likely get beat out by someone with 5 years exp and no certs. just my 2 cent though.

A 4 year degree will help you greatly down the road. Especially for those Network Admin positions, but then you stop tinkering and just fix it. Some even work in the CNA and or A+ certs.

Just remember experience and a good attitude will take you almost anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:17 am 

Ok, so lets say I want to get my A+ cert. Where do i take it? And does anyone
know of good books to use for studying? Thanks again for all the answers :)