Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC Maintenance Tech. Degree worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:28 pm 

Well, I'm a little confused right now...let me explain...

I myself am a firefighter...a career path I choose back when I was in my teenage years. I'm 22 now. On days off, I'm quite the PC enthusiast. I feel pretty comfortable namely because I've been building and fixing PC's since around 2004. You know, for friends, family, and also people for the FD where I work. I have to say, I am quite interested in the PC service industry as far as fixing computers since all I do on my days off are messing with computers.

Recently to some of the PC mags I subscribed to...namely MaxPC...I found some colleges that do online courses for a PC Maintenance Technology Degree. I was curious if doing course work like that is any worth the time and trouble???

I also know that PC certifications are a step in the door also...but I figured any credentials that can be obtained like certs, degrees, and etc....might be worth it. All in all, I'm interested on days off not working for some company, but advertise myself as a field PC tech. House call service or the what not...possibly a small business...

Any suggestions or replies?

Thanks!!!

Sudochop

Post subject: Re: PC Maintenance Tech. Degree worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 am 

sudochop wrote:
Well, I'm a little confused right now...let me explain...

I myself am a firefighter...a career path I choose back when I was in my teenage years. I'm 22 now. On days off, I'm quite the PC enthusiast. I feel pretty comfortable namely because I've been building and fixing PC's since around 2004. You know, for friends, family, and also people for the FD where I work. I have to say, I am quite interested in the PC service industry as far as fixing computers since all I do on my days off are messing with computers.

Recently to some of the PC mags I subscribed to...namely MaxPC...I found some colleges that do online courses for a PC Maintenance Technology Degree. I was curious if doing course work like that is any worth the time and trouble???

I also know that PC certifications are a step in the door also...but I figured any credentials that can be obtained like certs, degrees, and etc....might be worth it. All in all, I'm interested on days off not working for some company, but advertise myself as a field PC tech. House call service or the what not...possibly a small business...

Any suggestions or replies?

Thanks!!!

Sudochop

In one word, NO. At least not from one of those schools. You can pretty much the same degrees in a lot of community colleges. A lot of the courses can probably be taken online. Going the community college route has two benefits.

1. You will probably pay thousands and thousands of dollars. Most schools like this charge ludicrous amounts for a mediocre education/training. It won't guarantee you a job or the ability to run your own company.

2. If you decide to go for a four year degree at a traditional college for a more advanced technical degree these credits can transfer and you would have knocked out some core classes.

All in all, for most people a community college is a far better option because they are more respected, educate better, and do not cost you an arm or a leg. Of course, in the end it is up to you. I still say a 2 year degree and some certs are better than those technical schools or online schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My advice is setup a few virtural computers or join a school like New Horizions. They offer a lot of hands on course work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 am 
Klamath
Klamath

ok well since you are a fire fighter you will probly have a better job then a pc tech.... probly make more money and have better benifits...

but if you really want to be a pc tech get your CompTIA A+ IT Tech certification...

a cert is better then a degree... i think so anyways...

ALL PC EMPLOYEES LOOK FOR THAT CERT...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:34 pm 

sheldon wrote:
ok well since you are a fire fighter you will probly have a better job then a pc tech.... probly make more money and have better benifits...

but if you really want to be a pc tech get your CompTIA A+ IT Tech certification...

a cert is better then a degree... i think so anyways...

ALL PC EMPLOYEES LOOK FOR THAT CERT...

Yeah...I'm a firefighter full time, I was kinda interested in PC tech stuff as a side job, NOT a total career switch... Lots of people have been asking me for help w/ PC's lately and like I said...kinda enjoy messing around w/ computers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:38 am 

If your not looking for a career switch, then a degree would not be the way to go, I would advise to at least get your A+, Net+ and MCP if you just want to do side work. You can usually get these through either reading the course books or taking a few classes at your local tech center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 am 
Klamath
Klamath

i think it will take more then a few classes... for the A+....

i would read a A+ bible... do some hands on work and do allot of multible choice questions... and make sure you understand everything in the exam objectives...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:15 pm 

And another thing ive seen people struggling with is make sure you are ready for 601 and 602 before you go take your first exam as at least 50% of the 601 questions are from 602

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

im not to sure why but i took my sweet ass time at getting the A+ cert lmao....

it is my first cert and i had no idea how good it felt to accomplish somthing so i guess thats why i took my time... i took 3 months.. lmao my school paid for all expences aswell 600$+