Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advice needed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:17 pm 

To make a long story short I'm 23 with an Associates in Arts. I had to take some time off of school for a while due to some issues. My original plan was to get into graphic design. Now I'm contemplating a change. I enjoy graphic design but from what I've seen is that it really doesn't pay all that well. However my true love is in the technical/hardware aspect of computers. The main reason I didn't go into computer science off the bat is because of the math part of it. Its not exactly my strong suit. Recently I've been hearing all kinds of commercials for computertraining.com. I've been looking into getting MS certified and trying to build a career off that. I'm not looking to get rich but I'm hoping that I can make a decent living. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:47 am 

Wow buddy,

sounds like my life story, heh.

Well, your probobly not going to get rich unless you become an IT manager or something, which even then you wont be rich, youll just be well off.

Get your certs. You dont have to go to college to do this, though it does help. Know the material. KNOW IT. Dont try to memorize it, it wont work. Use books study and know it. Each MS Cert test is different.

I took my MCP and the test was totally different than the TestOut I was studying with and I failed the test.

Maybe try to get someone to give you a shot as a start out IT Tech.

Unfortunately, its a hard profession because the market is soooo saturated.

Good Fortune to you my friend, I hope it works out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

math side hmmm? im starting school myself, im enrolled in a bachelors program that doesnt involve too much math. its an MCSE program, which ill have at my 2 year point. i would def go get your MCSE and you should make good money after that. $35-45k to start, and final goal is $80k+.

i talk to alot of people about school, and i prolly come across "graphic designers" more then any other major. its a nice hobby, but keep that seperate from career. your right in that it doesnt pay much unless you know people in a way to advance ahead of time, dont even bother. def. go for comp science related field as this is more valuable. and you'll feel alot smarter when your done w/it :-)