Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what state has best opportunity?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ive always been a computer repair major. unfortunately it makes next to no money if you dont have a good clientelle.

anyhoo, im fittin to start MCSE degree this year, its a 2-4 year degree program. ill have MCSE in nxt 6 months though.

just curiouse, whats the best area in the US that will provide me a good paying entry level job with minor experience, and whats the best way to obtain experience prior to on the job experience?

im young and single, and free to go anywhere. im considering military jus to kill some time and not haveta worry bout them NOT giving me IT work ;-p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

o btw im in TPA, FL. and im thinking this is actually one of the top 3 area's as it is. got raymond james, aegon, and a few other billion dollar financial headquarters within a couple miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:02 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey, at least you don't live in Michigan like I do. By the time I get out of college, there won't be anything left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 pm 

There is always Redmond, WA. Microsoft hires a lot of people with little or no experience as contractors. Volt Techincal Services http://jobs.volt.com/ and Excell Data Corp. http://www.excell.com/ are the two biggest companies that handle contractors for Microsoft, among other companies in the northwest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:42 pm 

HellFighter_06 wrote:
Hey, at least you don't live in Michigan like I do. By the time I get out of college, there won't be anything left.

Where ya at in Michigan? I'm in Flint, and I gotta say, I agree with what you said. If you can afford it, get out now before the crumbling. My GF and I are either moving to Gainesville FLA, or Santa Rosa, Ca. I was born and raised in California, and lived there for over a year upon my 18th. There's a booming economy in either state, but in Cali, I know for a fact. I had a very un planned endeavor doing on-site computer repair, and with just a screwdriver and my aunts station wagon, I made some decent side cash. And I was just some 18 year old kid with a Craigslist ad. If you do it right (or any better) after the first few initial months, you should be makin some decent money. I wouldn't suggest trying to live in Ca single though. I'll move back there when I have someone with me, or if I have a BA and come Certs (think CCNP, MCSA, and RHCE). California is a great place if you can make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:54 pm 

bobaxos is defiantly hit the nail on the head. I did a paper on the tech hotspots and metro DC aka Redmond has more jobs than silicon valley. A LOT more. about 100,000 more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 pm 

A couple suggestions:

Look at not only the number of tech jobs but what kind of tech jobs they are. An analogous situation is the general job market in Southern California. Statistically there are a lot of jobs. However, when you really look at the jobs more and more have been in the service sector and those don't pay nearly as well. Similarly you probably aren't interested in electronics assembly, etc. because you are getting an MCSE, you are probably looking for some sort system admin type job.

Look at the cost of living. There may be a lot of jobs, but the cost of living in Seattle, San Jose and Los Angeles can be pretty high. Renting may be acceptable through your twenties. But eventually you might want to settle down and buy a house and buying a home without outside assistance in those areas may be extremely difficult on some salaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 pm 

I'm here in Kalamazoo and I'd have to agree with the other guys from Michigan, DON"T COME HERE. We've go the worst unemployment percentage of the entire country and I don't see it changing anytime soon. You throw in the tax hikes our intelligence-challenged governer has going on...you'de be better off no to even consider Michigan.

If nothing else, look for work somewhere where the weather is nice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:31 am 

Looking at the market right now, Oklahoma is in a growth spurt right now...OKC and Tulsa are always looking for IT personnel of all levels, and with the addition of Google an hour east of Tulsa (Pryor, OK), there will be increased opportunities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:19 am 

http://www.bls.gov is a great place to start. Go to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, select your desired jobs and it'll give you a list of stats from income to job opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:15 am 

LazamairAMD wrote:
Looking at the market right now, Oklahoma is in a growth spurt right now...OKC and Tulsa are always looking for IT personnel of all levels, and with the addition of Google an hour east of Tulsa (Pryor, OK), there will be increased opportunities.

Im trying to get on at google

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

It very much depends on the kind of IT job you want. It sounds like you are looking in the help desk/tech support area. You should be able to find those jobs any where. In general you will find better paying jobs in the larger cities with the big corparations. Look to either coast or other big cities like Chicago. The down side is that you will have a higher cost of living and the big corp. conditions.

You can always look to live outside of the city to save money, but pay in traffic time. You can also find some good jobs in the town around the cities that may pay less, but cost you less and have a nicer enviroment.

If you like your family don't forget to put a value to living close to home. (ie phone calls, plane tickets, vacation time, ...) I would also put a value on the local weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:22 pm 

I'm an IT in the Navy and I do think the military is a good way to gain experiance, but the military is way different from the civilian world.

Also, in the Navy the IT rate does computers and radios so you may not even get to work with computers at your first duty. I'm not sure about the other services.

Pluses: you get a top secret security clearance (if you qualify of course), enlistment/reenlistment bonuses, free training, education benefits, Navy pays for certs.

Minuses: you will be amazed at the BS you have to deal with, base pay isn't that great, Iraq/Afganishtan, shipboard duty.