Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HighSchool Diploma Online?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:11 am 
Klamath
Klamath

This is not a question for my self but for my Fiance's daughter who is 18.

She has gone through 1 year of her senior year and is now doing a second one due to lack of credits (and from what I can tell, really poor advice from her teachers/counselors) she has also been jerked around a bit with her classes this year, and needless to say, she just wants to get her diploma and get out so she can move on to college. My question is, she was asking me about these sites she saw online to getting your highschool diploma online with some classes and the actually diploma all for 50$. My first thoughts were 'this does not sound too legit'. So I am wondering, is this a valid way to get your diploma? Also, if it is, what are some of the best sites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Is there a reason she can't get a GED?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GED

Especially take a look at the section on Colleges, Employers, and the GED and the Criticisms.

Note, in my opinion, if you are going the GED route, you really need to be dedicated to the education and be up on studying by yourself, etc. That can be tough to do when you're 18 and looking to get out in the world, be with friends, etc. Either way, I wouldn't expect to go to a major college with what she's got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Other thoughts for if I were in that situation.

1) Assessment of the situation. Where are you now, and where do you need to be in order to get the degree (ie. summer classes or multiple years).
2) Where do you want to be in the future? Is a college degree going to work out for you in your situation? Do you even want to work on a degree? Or is it just for your parents?
3) Self assessment. What are the grades like. What is the personality like? Are you doing ok gradewise, and do you just need a few more classes, or are you a C/D student, and like to stay out partying all night?

In my (albeit limited) experience. The public school teachers/councilors aren't going to screw around with you too much in re. required classes (especially if it is documented). Private schools may be unable to provide them due to low class participation though. There may be something else going on there personalitywise to watch out. That won't go away in college.

Re. the online highschools, I'm inclined to think rip off, but the first thing I would check for is to see if they are an accredited school (and have proof of it that I can check with the state for). If they aren't accredited, you are wasting your time unless you are going for a GED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am currently a Junior in high school. I in proper terms goofed of to much the first two years and glad I am getting my act together now then in my senior year. But your daughter can do what I am doing. My brick and mortar school has 4 classes a day. We have something that we call block scheduling. The school year is divided up into two semesters. The first semester we get 4 classes then the second semester we get a different set of classes. Instead of having a normal 9 week grading period we have 4.5 weeks. Also instead of 45-50 min classes we have 1 hour & 30 mins. So in total we get 8 classes per year Vs. the 6 classes per year.

But long story short. Along with intending my brick & mortar school. I also attend http://flvs.net/ its an on line school. I take 2 classes on line and 3 classes at my main school. So I get a total of 10 classes per year. At this rate I will be back up and ahead by the end of the summer. Then my senior year and I hope. I can dual enrol at Lake Sumter. So I can take some college classes after school for free.

Its just a thought and something to look into. Also if your not a FL residence. You can still take FLVS. But at a fee. Its a great on line class and they love to stay in touch. With both student and parent. Its about 4-5 hours per week, per class. If you do the minimum. You can still work ahead to complete the class early. That's what I try to do. I try to stay 1-2 weeks ahead. Just in case of an emergency....I have some lean way.

Also they work with all OS. Linux/Windows/OSX