Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MS MQL Certification
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:59 pm 

I just went to a job fair at the school, and in addition to the bs in cs they will require CCNA, MCSE, MCP, and A+. What I am worried about now is the SQL bit. All the classes that I have looked at require 1yr experience with SQL servers. is this true, or can I get by with the class? If I need experience what will be the best way to get experience?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Like anything, it depends on what you want to end up doing.

It's been a while, but I don't think I have seen a job from the get go that wants a BS + all those various certs that you would be likely to get fresh from college. They want experience, which you probably don't have.

Experiencewise, probably the best thing is to get into an internship in your field with a big company during the summer. You usually don't get paid, but you have resume filler for experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:29 pm 

When I asked the company for about all the certifications, I was told "we get the sub-contracting jobs, so we want to be self reliant". They prefer for potential employees to have the SQL certification, but only require a person to know how to install it on servers, and start simple task. Im pretty sure that I could set up a lab and go through a SQL for dummies book to learn that. However, if I want to make my resume really attractive I was going to go ahead and get the certification while I am going through school. All the class mates that I have talked to say that they will get it after they graduate. I found a school that offers it for 3k and the class is 6 mo, but it requires a 1yr experience with SQL. Would I be able to get by if I just work my way through a dummies book first with a lab? Or do I really need the experience?

Thanks for the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

experience is always best. sometimes it's not a good thing to have too many certs for an entry level job. I understand that one company wanted SQL cert but were they looking for someone at an entry level position? If you have A+ and network+ you are ahead of a lot of other people. It's time to get some experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My take on it is that they are posting what they'd like, not what they expect to get. If you have it on your resume, yes, it's certainly a plus. Especially if no one else in your class has it. However, remember, you aren't competing against just your class out there.

If you have the money and the dedication to do it without affecting your current grades, then by all means go for it. However, college is supposed to be fun too... One of the things people don't always pay attention to is the socializing part of college. Being a computer geek is good, being a well rounded computer geek that can interact well with others is better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

jcollins wrote:
One of the things people don't always pay attention to is the socializing part of college. Being a computer geek is good, being a well rounded computer geek that can interact well with others is better...

This is something that is definitly super important. Making friends will help you in ways you can't imagine. Even if someone looks like a fool now in 10 years that same fool owns a company and needs a new head of IT or something. Well maybe he remembers that friend he had back in the day next thing you know your phone is ringing. Note I'm not saying you should be a fool and stay out partying every night I'm saying be social and the more people you know the better.