Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Got a promotion in my job
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I work as a customer rep in a computer store and now i have been given a promotion as a computer tech. The thing is i forgot alot about since i slacked off like for 2 years. ANy suggestions on how to deal with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

First thing to do is a Self Assessment.

1) Find out your job responsibilities. "Computer tech" can mean different things in different places. First Tier, Second Tier, etc. Fixing hardware vs fixing software, vs building computers for clients vs building computers for the company, etc.
2) Find out what you need to do to meet those responsibilities.
3) Quiz and test yourself on items to meet those responsibilities. Areas that you are weak in, train yourself on.

You'll probably be in a learn on the job situation, so see if there are mentor type folks around that you can ask questions when you are stuck on things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Most customers come in to get their hdd repaired because it died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:46 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Ok, so you're up with the insides of computers? You know what goes where? What're you going to do if you get someone who wants to put some brand spankin new DDR3 memory on a 680i motherboard for example?

A+ certification books might help out here if you don't already have a certification. The last one I've seen was a bit dated technologywise, but it's good as a refresher.

Other things to do, evaluate your customer service persona. You said you were a customer rep before, so you probably have experience talking to the customer. Is that up to par for a position where you may have to say "Sorry, your data's all gone"?

Incidentally, in the end, you probably should evaluate the job and ask yourself where you plan on seeing yourself in the future ethically. Those type of jobs are usually low paying "dead end" jobs where pounding out the repairs fast trumps actually helping the customer. They go through personnel fast because they can always get kids to work for them on the cheap.

It's no fun having to tell a granny all her irreplaceable pictures of her grandkids are gone (even though you could probably retrieve them in 8 hours) because the boss has 5 computers he wants you to fix by the end of the day.

Not saying that's your situation, but just what I have seen out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

installing DDR3 memory is the same as installing DDR2 or DDR memory right? And i plan to work there for the next 3 years until i get my degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The process of installing the memory is the same, but it is keyed differently so it won't work in a non DDR3 motherboard. If you don't know that, you will waste time trying to force it in, and possibly break it.

Sort of like trying to put a brand spanking new 8800 GTX on an AGP only motherboard.

I've actually found the process of researching and building your own PC the best experience for that type of job. You may or may not have the cash for that though, especially if you are paying your way through college.

Re. the three years. I think most of those guys burn out in less than three years. They really tend to be sweat shops. But your mileage may vary. As long as you have a goal (degree in 3 years), you have options. If you're floating through it, you can get screwed pretty easily.

Incidentally, you could also ask and see if they'll pay for some certifications (like A+ or the like). You may be able to get them to cover some of that for you (especially if you intimate that you're looking to stay there a while). Something to do till you get your degree, and probably not too useful once you get it, but it's an extra item on your resume.

Post subject: Re: Got a promotion in my job
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:42 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
I work as a customer rep in a computer store and now i have been given a promotion as a computer tech. The thing is i forgot alot about since i slacked off like for 2 years. ANy suggestions on how to deal with this?

I wouldn't worry about how to install each new component. Being a good technician isn't about knowing details about components. It is about being able to find the information you need quickly and efficiently while maintaining good troubleshooting habits.

If you don't know about DDR3, no sweat. You can figure that out if you understand RAM in general. If you don't understand a technology you need to begin to read up on it and learn more.

One really good way to start to get your troubleshooting skills up is to answer questions in the free clinic here on this site or go to http://answers.yahoo.com and answer tech questions there.

Do the research, be sure to list your sources and you will find you begin to troubleshoot faster, more accurately, and results will show.

Another huge part of being a technician is being confident when you talk about what you are fixing. Do not let the person bringing you the computer tell you what to do. Instead listen to them for clues about the problem and using your skills begin to work through the issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

if you want to gain knowledge the way to do it is simple. Read, read and read. Then post in forums. Pay attention to what's going on in technology. Of course the one thing that is most valuable is experience. Going out and making mistakes will teach you far more than any book, forum, or website can. Yes I said making mistakes the trick is to learn from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:42 pm 

i sugest geting Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 18th Edi form que.. it's a little dry if you try to read it cover to cover but if you get in a jam or are not sure what something is its great to have for the hardware side of things.