Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Passed A+ Essentials and A+ IT Technician exams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:35 am 

I haven't posted in a long time but I had to tell someone lol

Took and passed both exams in the past week. I am finally certified. Currently working on Network +

For those wondering, this is completely MY opinion

The Essentials was a breeze. The Technician seemed more indepth but was still mainly general knowledge questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:52 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:03 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
Congrats.

Thank you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:11 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Gratz dude.

For those who are interested, what books did you study from? Did they work out for you vs. you already knowing the stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:08 pm 

jcollins wrote:
Gratz dude.

For those who are interested, what books did you study from? Did they work out for you vs. you already knowing the stuff?

As far as books go, I pretty much used the CompTIA A+ study guides. In all honesty though, most was stuff I already knew. As for online help, I played with the measure-up tests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, would you say the CompTIA A+ guides were worthwhile for new people or no? I believe in another thread they were talking about different books.

Post subject: A+ Cert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:45 am 

I would say guides are good refreshers if you've been out of IT for a while. Its been a couple of years, and they helped me catch up before the tests. I just passed the IT Technician, CompTIA says I have to wait up to 5 days to see it on their database, that's crap. I want my certification NOW!!! :evil: I am also working on Network+ and hoping to take it soon. I took a Net+ class years ago, had a voucher, and never took the test...I realize what a waste that was, but the Army paid for it. :P I did my refreshing with Mike Meyers' Passport CompTIA A+ Cert 3d Edition, and I liked the book, I recommend it to anyone studying for the tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

What book(s) would you (ALL) recommend that will teach you about how computer PARTS work? ie...Motherboard resistors, transistors, diodes, etc... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I don't know if we're going to really be able to answer that in a thread on A+ and Network+ certification. That's more along the lines of an electrical engineering topic than a computer topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Right...Thanks anyway. 8)

Post subject: Re: A+ Cert
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:40 am 

Drunken Hero wrote:
I would say guides are good refreshers if you've been out of IT for a while. Its been a couple of years, and they helped me catch up before the tests. I just passed the IT Technician, CompTIA says I have to wait up to 5 days to see it on their database, that's crap. I want my certification NOW!!! :evil: I am also working on Network+ and hoping to take it soon. I took a Net+ class years ago, had a voucher, and never took the test...I realize what a waste that was, but the Army paid for it. :P I did my refreshing with Mike Meyers' Passport CompTIA A+ Cert 3d Edition, and I liked the book, I recommend it to anyone studying for the tests.

I agree 100%. I don't think the Comptia guides are of any real use to someone just entering the field. In all actuality I don't think any literature will be able to teach real world situations. In order to learn anything you have to DO it "hands on". The guides a re a refresher and a study tool only.
Oh, I just finished the Network + course. Should have the cert in a week or 2 depending on my laziness factor lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:28 pm 

congratulations to the people that got certified. By the way, where do you get the Comptia A+ guide. I'm currently reader the Mike Meyers book and more than half way done reading it. I just need the guide to refresh my mind. thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Passed A+ Essentials and A+ IT Technician exams
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Adam1130 wrote:
The Essentials was a breeze. The Technician seemed more indepth but was still mainly general knowledge questions

I'm confused. What do you mean by the "essentials" and the "technician"? I thought it was divided up into hardware and software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:23 am 

the essentials exam tests your knowledge of computer components, and identifying about every common device on PCs. Also tests your ability to install, configure, and maintain all the standard technology involved in a personal computer.

the IT Technician exam covers hardware and software as Essentials, but with much more focus on determining the appropriate technology for a situation like running diagnostics, troubleshooting rather than identifying hardware or operating system utilities. Also tests your knowledge of computer components and programs so you can inform recommendations to customers. You need to understand how all the technology should work and figure out why something doesnt work and then fix it.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It helps it's just diffrent than what I was told originally. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:00 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Anyone clear me up on how the new scheme is to get A+ certified? I studied for them back before they switched over to the new exams, when I scheduled my hardware one (which was the one I studied for first) either I clicked the wrong exam or they had some kind of hiccup on there end, any way ended up having to take the A+ software which I wasn't studied up for and got bombarded with NT and 98 questions :x and only failed it by nine marks but i did get my hardware the next day.

Any way cutting to the chase since I did my hardware cert with the old exams they won't put it towards my A+ certification anymore and i'm a lil confused as to how the new exams are suppose to work. Do I just take the A+ essentials and get the qualification or do I have to do two exams?