Which Sound Recorder?
MP3 Player 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Designated Sound Recorder 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1
 Post subject: Sound Recorder For College
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi. I am not sure if this is the best forum index to post this in, if their be a better one please inform me.

I was looking for a digital voice recorder, but I really don't know what to buy.
I see here, http://tinyurl.com/33g2d9 are some, and they are expensive in price, and, I am not even sure if they are that good. I can even look at MP3 players that have more available space, obviously more options, and even lower price, like this one http://tinyurl.com/2mfao5. It promises,
Quote:
Advanced Digital Voice Recorder: specify an individual (memo), or group (meeting) environment... Advanced Digital Voice Recorder: specify an individual (memo), or group (meeting) environment

Would it be better to buy the 2gig mp3 player?I am unsure if the designated sound recorders cost is also cause of the fact they have a built in speaker, still I am clueless. Or should I shop local stores for a voice recorder. I'm recording voices so, also room size wont be gigantically large, maybe 25-40 students in a class. I don't have many idea's so if anybody could help me out.

Thanks in Advance
-Houndf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:52 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I used to record all my classes on MiniDisc (with MDLP).

If I was buying a new recorder for class now, here's the main things I'd look for:

1. Removable media - Compact Flash, SD, something, just don't get it built in.

2. Removable battery - Nothing worse then putting up with a battery that over the course of the semester holds less and less of a charge. Make sure you pick up a spare battery if the unit you buy can't use off-the-shelf NiMH AA's.

Optional stuff:

3. External Microphone/Line input jack - These you'll probably find on the more expensive units, and very handy if you need to do some professional recording (ie- your friend the music major needs to make a performance CD).

4. VU Meters or Overload LED - Nothing worse then recording a class and hearing all kinds of crazy distortion when you go to play it back later. Some units (especially Sony) have built in limiters you can enable to prevent this.