Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advice on getting job right out of college
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:23 am 

I will be graduating this September with an AAS in Network Support. I already have my A+, and am currently working on Network+ and Server+. The problem is I've been trying to land a job for a month or two now, but there are few if almost none openings that are entry level. Everyone wants a 4 year degree and 2 year degree with 2-3 years experience. I've been doing A+ repair type jobs for about a year now, but I am not learing anything that I don't already know, and have not been able to work with server/networks yet on the job.
any advice?

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:02 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Are you looking at the online job sites?
What city are you in?

Depending on where you are, it's going to be tough. Invariably, the first hurdle to cover after graduating is "Experience". It just takes persistence to find a job around that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:54 pm 

Unfortunately, there is pretty heavy competition for most entry level positions in the computer industry.

That being said, there are a few things that you _can_ do to get the experience for getting your foot in the door. Since the question of experience only counts doing the job, there are some things that you can do in your home for yourself that can then be listed for experience. Build yourself your own network at home. You probably don't have any need for the network other than to put the experience on your resume. You can also "volunteer" as a network admin for one or more local charities. Again, this gets you things to put on the resume in the experience field.

With these or anything else you do for that "experience" on the resume, make sure to tailor your description to whatever you are applying for.

As far as the job search thing goes, I've been working in the computer field for the last eight years. The minimum job search time in my area tends to be 2-3 months. (I admit I am no longer looking for entry level but even there, there is typically a trade off between quality of employment and time spent looking.)

Post subject: Re: Advice on getting job right out of college
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:09 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

ironhead7 wrote:
any advice?

thanks in advance.

Start studying for MCSA.

An A+ & Network+ or A+ & Server+ with allow you to skip an elective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:18 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Don't let a month or two get your down .. it can take longer than that.

Also, consider what is 'required' on the job posting an opening bargaining position. That is what they would like, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply for the position. You might have skills that they need, rather than prefer, and you might get an interview.

With IT positions, though, it is very important not to claim to have skills that you don't. Having a linux box at home does not make you an experienced UNIX SA. There is nothing more annoying than interviewing someone, getting to the technical testing portion, and realising that they don't know a fork() from a hole in the wall.

Keep applying and stay positive. Where are you? Is moving a possibility? IT is a very geocentric field ... there are places where there are more jobs than people, and there are places where your best possibility for a job is installing Word on an assistant's PC.