Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Learning How to Create Databases
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:05 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

What do i need to do if i want to teach myself from scratch to be able to make databases? School and classes are not really an option for me at this point so its pretty much books and teaching myself.

I'll be honest i dont know the first thing about creating a database, or what i need to learn and in what order i need to learn it. Any help or suggestions on books would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:04 am 

Access or SQL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:53 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

squatpuke wrote:
Access or SQL?

Please excuse the n00bness. As i said i know nothing about database creation and would like to learn. So I'm assuming that Access (MS Access I got that much) and SQL are separate, is there a reason i should not learn both? I would like to start with whatever would give me best foundation for more learning. If learning access is easier and gets me familiar with many of the concepts behind database creation so i can go onto SQL that would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:03 am 

Google --

Microsoft Access 2000 Step-By-Step Interactive 4 Media

or

Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005: Database Essentials Step by Step
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/8743.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:25 pm 

bathtbgin wrote:
squatpuke wrote:
Access or SQL?

Please excuse the n00bness. As i said i know nothing about database creation and would like to learn. So I'm assuming that Access (MS Access I got that much) and SQL are separate, is there a reason i should not learn both? I would like to start with whatever would give me best foundation for more learning. If learning access is easier and gets me familiar with many of the concepts behind database creation so i can go onto SQL that would work.

I'm still not sure really what application to steer you towards...are you wanting to keep track of your album or stamp collection? Or looking for a career in database managment?

MSAccess uses SQL to an extent...you usually don't see it as it runs behind the scenes. You can directly use SQL in MSAccess, but don't really NEED, and usually wouldn't want too...MSAccess is primarily for home/small business applications can be programmed to be fairly powerful.

Programming SQL at an Enterprise level is entirely different. (but similar in concept)

If you want hardcore database design/production...I'd recommend setting up an semi-old computer with Linux and learning on MySQL. (google)

Otherwise, you'd need access to database servers, ie. Oracle, MS, DB2 etc....to practice and learn on.

Sorry I can't help much more....

Post subject: Re: Learning How to Create Databases
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

bathtbgin wrote:
What do i need to do if i want to teach myself from scratch to be able to make databases? School and classes are not really an option for me at this point so its pretty much books and teaching myself.

I'll be honest i dont know the first thing about creating a database, or what i need to learn and in what order i need to learn it. Any help or suggestions on books would be greatly appreciated.

If you're set on Microsoft for an OS, I'd recommend grabbing a copy of MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition and grabbing a book on creating databases using SQL Server 2005. Teaching yourself, you're not going to overrun the limits of the Express product. And it's 99.9% the same (administratively) as full blown SQL Server 2005.

Plus, you can run it on an XP machine. I'd just make sure you have a decent amount of RAM. SQL likes to eat system RAM, burp, and then scream for more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:51 am 

you can use books or test out like videos for learning .
Microsoft has the MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server database administator, or you can study for the Oracle DBAOCP ( database Adminisrator Certified Professional. Go to http://www.cramsession.com/certificatio ... &submit=GO to compare and learn about different certs.

Post subject: Re: Learning How to Create Databases
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

bathtbgin wrote:
What do i need to do if i want to teach myself from scratch to be able to make databases?

Probably the first question that should be asked is... why do you want to learn to make databases? What are your goals/expectations? What do you plan on using this knowledge for?