Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Questions for Network administrator career research project
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:15 pm 

hello

I am currently doing a project for my business class that involves me
interviewing one IT professional and I was hoping maybe somebody can answer a few questions for me?

1. What degree would you recommend to somebody to acquire if they were
interested in becoming a network administrator?

2. What is a typical day at work?

3. What benefits are there to being a Network Administrator?

4. As network administrator, do you lead a team of employees that help you
maintain the networks? Or are you a one man team?

5. What is the demand of this career? High or Low?

6. Would you recommend this career to somebody who is interested in the IT
field?

7. How important is this position to a company?

Thank you very much!!

Oh and I would need your full name so I can show my professor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:27 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Did anyone PM you on this? I'm no IT pro by far, but worked very closely with them

1) Something as generic as general ITT Tech trade schooling would suffice. The more formal isn't necessarily for the better on technologies. Leave advanced schooling for Masters courses.

2) Talking to idiots like me that bork your system.

3) Rather than...

4) Rather work in conjunction. I haven't see any "leaders" per say, just each finding their niche within the group.

5) Demand FOR the IT position? High. It continues to grow. Personal demand AS an IT pro? Mostly stress it seems.

6) No. There's better ways to earn money than an IT for a corporation. It's a start if ya need one.

7) Giant corps, it's 100% necassary. Many sections have over 80% of their budget in IT.

8) Professor Phenus J. Whoopie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 am 

1. Oddly enough, a lot of the ads I see want people with Computer Science degrees. I would say that or something like management information systems would be good degrees. I am very well compensated for my time and I have no degree, just a ton of expierence and certifications.

2. Unless something major breaks or we are putting in something new, I reset passwords and create accounts and add PCs to the domain.. Its very mundane most of the time.

3. The money is great.

4. Where I work, we have an IT department that is literally thousands of people. I get to handle just my little nook of the network.

5. I would say it is very high.

6. If you have a passion for testing and taking certifications, sure. By becoming an IT pro, you are condeming yourself to a lifetime of testing for a certification on whatever is the newest product on the market.

7. It is vital. If the PCs and network are not running, not much is getting done.

Name: ***********
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Networking+, Server+, Security+

Post subject: Re: Questions for Network administrator career research proj
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:40 pm 

1. Computer Service Technology in Networking (Network Administrator)
-MCSE/MCSA Certification (Beats A+)
-A+ Certification (by CompTIA or i think it was CompTA. one of the two.)
2. Typically, on average, resetting users accounts due to them being stupid or forgetting their password. Sometimes doing updates. Weekly / monthly backups.
3. Pay. And also people skills I guess.
4. Both
5. Depends on the size of the business/company. I'd say high but, low chance to get.
6. Yes, but make sure its someone with people skills. nerds/geeks arent always the best, sometimes you just need a normal person that just knows.
7. Highly important. Backing up everything, well, is a life saver for companies.

~Justin

Post subject: Re: Questions for Network administrator career research proj
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:15 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

1. To get started in a low-grade tech position: Associate's Degree: As someone suggested ITT, AS: Computer Networking Systems.

If you want to get into more advanced admin positions, or do security work, look at at least a Bachelor's degree. Again, if from ITT, look at the BS: Information Systems Security.

Note: The coursework at ITT isn't the greatest. HOWEVER, it's a fairly decent primer for a CISSP exam.

Note: NO, you don't want to take the CISSP straight out of school. First off, you can't. The exam's prerequisites require you to have 3-5 years experience in a security-related position first. Second, I said PRIMER. You try to take the exam without further study, you'll blow the exam and waste your $600. Unlike some other exams, you don't get a free retest on CISSP. You pay the exam fee every time you take the exam. Third: Even if you pass, you need a recommendation from someone who's already a CISSP in good standing (though you CAN wiggle around this a bit).

Note: If you want to go into security work, you DEFINITELY want CISSP.

2. Your day can vary, based on the actual position you're in. Your day could consist of poring over logs, reading security bulletins, etc. Or you could be doing systems maintenance. Or adding/deleting users. Or you could be in crisis mode when the power "goes away". Sometimes, you're going to wind up serving as last line tech support. About the only person who will know more about the underpinnings of the network would be the network architect (if you company has such a position).

3. Depends on what exactly you're administering and where you work.

4. Depends on how big the network is. If you're in a small office environment, it's just you baby. And likely you're also the tech support guy too.

5. Depends on what exactly you're looking to (and have experience to) administer.

The demand for people who can just set up a bunch of XP machines on a peer to peer network is fairly small and mostly handled either by somebody's kid/nephew/friend or as part of a solution provider's service in getting their software in-house.

Diverse knowledge will allow you to fit better into more positions.

6. Only if you're really serious about the IT field.

7. Depends on the company. With small companies, probably not so important. They need SOMEBODY, but they usually can't afford to have someone there full time. Hence the someone's kid/nephew or a contractor. Those that DO keep one usually wind up turning them into a one man tech support department.

With mid-sized companies, the need for a full time network admin is better defined. Especially if the company is IT-heavy. Their jobs still tend to be "fix it" type setups. But, in these cases, they've usually got at least SOME staff to run the front-line tech support for them while they make sure all the back-end stuff is running right.

In larger companies, the need is pretty much set. And usually, the need is such that there's more than one network admin. Also, at this stage, duties tend to be somewhat more defined. Technical support is it's own section, and usually there's at least someone who'll cop to network architect duty. As such, you job becomes less one of "management" and more one of "implementation".

Charles Borner
Network Administrator
Publish or Perish Inc.