Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Just starting out... Technician or Entry level admin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 pm 

Hey there, 'tis I again, with more questions about college, certs, and jobs. I currently work days at a grocery store, and nights at a fast food restaurant. Basically the whole retail thing is really starting to burn me out. I love working with computers and I hope to become a Linux/UNIX network administrator. I've been training on and off for my Network+, but I'm trying to see all my avenues. I don't see very many positions for entry level SysAdmins, but I do see a few for techs. I figure that's a good way to get my foot in the door and get some professional experience. Basically, to those who've gone before me, would it be better to stick with getting my Network+, CCNA, RHCE & SCSA, (shooting for an admin position, or should I get my Network+, MCDST & ACHDS, thus shooting for a tech position, getting a decent job, getting experience while I train for my RHCE/SCSA combo? I know if I apply myself, I can get the MCDST and ACHDS under my belt before winter '07, ready to hit the market while I start college. Yet on the other hand, I can get my Network+, Server+ and CCNA done by the same time, probably sooner, then ready to hit the market. What's the verdict oh thee, gurus of IT? (BTW, thank you for taking the time to read this. It's 2:30am, I'm drinking mountain dew, hating my current jobs cause McD's is Nazi about facial hair (I kid you not))
-Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:43 am 

Anyone? I just want to get a decent job soon. Which one is faster to get a job at and will the fastest help me down the line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

To be honest, I do not know of any companies that will hire anyone for a sysadmin position without prior experience (by this I mean working as a desktop support technician first for a few years before moving up). Most firms have a dedicated promotion path where you can move from desktop support to either applications or networking, but you need to have experience in the field first. Go for your A+. N+ and DST then while working as a tech, work on your MCSE and CCNA's. Good luck