Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Certification Boot Camps Worth It?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:45 am 

Just wanted to see what you guys think. I've seen there are all sorts of 'Boot Camps' where you attend some intensive training usually followed by an on-site exam to attain a certification. Seems like they have these for almost everything out there. I was looking at one where you attain an MCSA 2003 and a Security+ in 8 days, but these things cost like $4,000-5,000 each, which unless you have your job pay for, is a ton of money to pay for by yourself. I was just wondering if any of you have doen one of these, how it went, how you paid for it, etc. Also, cramming that much material in such a short amount of time seems like a terrible way to learn so I was wondering what the success rate is for boot camps in reguard to the pass/fail rate of people who take them and then the certification exam at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:55 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

My brother got his MCSE through one of those Boot Camps, I think it was a 6 week course.

Here's the kicker, since he had been laid off at the time by his former employer, he managed to get the state to pick up the tab. So if you've been recently laid off (ie- within 6 months) depending on where you live, you may be able to get the state to pick up the bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 am 

I know that global knowledge has a relationship with san diego state university. check out http://www.ces.sdsu.edu/global.html . These are classes at you can use student loans for or if your company only pays for school and not certs, have them pay for these classes. I took the MCDST boot camp and I learned alot. It was really intence and it is the type of job I already do. I passed both tests. of the 15 people in my class only 4 passed both tests. I believe the average is normally much higher. I am not very smart but I did study my butt off, even when I got home. I suspect many others did not really put alot of extra effort. It is intense because they are cramming alot of infromation in a short period of time. You need to decate the time. If you do not have a lot of time, the boot camps are great. Just be ready for cramming. If you want , you can keep the books and study and reinforce the knowledge after the class if you do not do the same thing at work. At lease you have hands on knowledge when you go for an interview. Not like some people with a paper cisco cert and then did not even know where to plug in the console cable then they wanted him to program the router. LOL. Just make sure you get some hands on time. You will love it. I used Global knwledge and I liked it alot.