Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer Technician
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Can someone make a living from being a pc tech? like earning 35000 per year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:26 pm 

I suppose, but you will want to grow with time. The pc tech thing will get old and so will the money as you get older and have to support more people in your family. You will probably move into networking in one form or another. Do not be stagnet, grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

actually im majoring in computer science. But if the job is boring or if i cant get hire in at least 2 years i might just be a pc tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:02 am 

We do what we need to in order to survive. You should be ok with your degree. if you get bored, get some certs. Do you know what you want to do in IT if you had a choice. It sounds like tech is a last options. I am sure you would like desktop support more then computer tech. You get to move around more instead of being trapped at a work bench. That is why I did not go into programing in the old days. Just was not the sit at the desk all day type of guy.
I am not sure where you live. Here is Silicon valley 35k should be ok for a pc tech ( it is a starting position generally speaking). I am not sure if you are asking if the job will pay 35k or if you know already it does pay 35k. I guess there is alot I do not know a.g. if you are 20ish going to school or 40ish like me and going to school. I like working on computers. I hope you do also. Finish school regardless. I bytes working, going to school and being old. LOL. I hope you are one of those smart , young wipper-snappers. Life will be easier doing 2 things at the same time if you have to, but school in number one. By the way, did I say, go to school ?

Post subject: Re: Computer Technician
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Can someone make a living from being a pc tech? like earning 35000 per year?

My first jobs out of school we TERRIBLE. I was driving all over the state making like 10 bucks an hour. But, in time, better consulting jobs came and in about a year I was landing consulting jobs making 23 bucks an hour or better. Also, the class of people I worked with where awesome. Especially at that one gig, I could throw any types of windows/networking/hardware/software types of questions and they always had an answer. Those are the places you want to work, because if your like me I love to ask questions. Some people aren't like that and will continue to do something wrong because they don't want to ask questions. Those folks don't last.

The job I have now, they started me off at like 33,000. But in just over a year they bumped me up to about 40 k a year. That, plus the benefits package and I really can't complain. But this isn't a strictly PC Tech job, that is only part of it. Helpdesk/ PC Support people need to know a little about everything because you can't always count on someone else to do there job. So the more you know the faster you can fix the problem and move on to the next one. There are also those problems that you would love to just sit down and figure out but you simply can't because you don't have the time. So then the answer is simply "Reimage it".

Sorry, I am rambling on again.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:10 am 

Depends on where you live I guess.
Where I do you'll be lucky to get paid that much. It's more likely you'll get no more than $12/hr at best. Also you'll have to beat out all the other people with master degrees in CS to get the job at least the last interview for computer tech job I went to had several guys with advanced degrees also applying.
"companies build their business on the backs of high school and college graduates, the people who get a job just to get by until something better comes along. These people are called hardware technicians; they bear huge responsibility and work for low pay, often for little better than minimum wage. Hardly any of these people take their job seriously and those that do are usually looking to get into a more prestigious field like Network Administration or Security. Who could blame them with such a poor pay rate?"
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/hardwaretechnician/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:46 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I want to go in either the programming or Artificial Intelligence field of CS. I just want a side job to help pay for school and my supplements. I hate working in retail stores and restaurants thats why i want to be a pc tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:41 pm 

I currently work for basically for myself doing contract computer repairs for various companies, one of which I've worked for since 2000. If the work was steady, meaning 20+ calls per week, I would be able to make 75 grand plus. But it seems to come in spurts. One day you do 5 calls, the next one or worse, none. I try to average $30/hour minimum after taking in drive times and gas expense, and I actually only put in an average of 15 - 20 hours per week. I've done a couple calls that have paid $80/hour for like 9 hours ($720 for 1 night's work). So being a PC tech you can make good money, but not usually working at an actual company that pays with W2's. If you want to repair PS'c/printers/etc., try to stay self employeed.