Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: General Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:22 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey guys. So i have had a good amount of work related experience in computers. I worked for a computer company, and also in a production company with Mac's. Also modded the Spider Man 3 computer that landed the cover of CPU. If that is relevant at all. I figured the more coverage i could get on the computers i build the better. I guess no one can ever frown on having a computer you built published? I'm very confident around computers but im still lacking certs or a degree. It is crunch time though as i am 24 and don't really know where to go from here. I think if i took the A+ i would pass as i build computers and deal with them frequently. I have been studying the A+ for dummies book. Thing is im not sure it is for the A+ 2006 though. Will there be some new stuff in the 06 version of the A+?

Im a self starter if anything but im not sure where to go from here work wise. Im single with no kids and just want to get out into the field as i know i could climb to the top rather fast. Im just a hard working person who does that little bit extra.

Wish i had just went to college straight out of HS but that didn't happen. Im more of a hands on learner but im not looking forward to working at best buy for 10 bucks an hour with a A+ cert. Any suggestions? I know it is rather vague description but i hope some of you can sense what it is im asking. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:22 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

My advice is to get several certifications, form your own LLC or incorporate, and then venture out into computer service.

There's no money in building computers when the general population would rather pay $499 for a computer they can throw out in a year or two and replace with another $499 computer. But trust me, those cheap computers don't have the best reliability and replacing components on them within 9 months of ownership is getting more and more common.

People don't like waiting on hold for 20 minutes to an hour just to talk to someone reading through a scripted flowchart, they'd rather know someone local. At least, that's what I've found to be the case in my experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:38 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well i guess i will just keep piling on the certs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:20 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Does anyone have any experience with WGU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:35 pm 

I just started with WGU. As I look at the program from the inside now, it is even better then I thought when I was investagating it. It seems that to work in IT now days you need the TRIAD. Not the nuke missile system but the experance, the certs and a 4 year degree. I have been working in in IT for over 16 years but I have on degree. As I get ready to change jobs ( my company is moving to the east coast) I have not gotten any certs ( since 95 when i got my CNE). I am going for my IT network design degree. (MCSE). Since it is on line I can do it and work. I am a self starter as well so I can do the on line courses. I am also poor so I got the student loan that I do not have to pay until later.
I was going to sugguest WGU until I read further and saw your next question. Go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

guyvii wrote:
I just started with WGU. As I look at the program from the inside now, it is even better then I thought when I was investagating it. It seems that to work in IT now days you need the TRIAD. Not the nuke missile system but the experance, the certs and a 4 year degree. I have been working in in IT for over 16 years but I have on degree. As I get ready to change jobs ( my company is moving to the east coast) I have not gotten any certs ( since 95 when i got my CNE). I am going for my IT network design degree. (MCSE). Since it is on line I can do it and work. I am a self starter as well so I can do the on line courses. I am also poor so I got the student loan that I do not have to pay until later.
I was going to sugguest WGU until I read further and saw your next question. Go for it.

Yea im going to give them a ring tomorrow. What the fastest you could obtain the Bachelor of Science from them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:57 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

So i read that there is a way to get a bunch of certs done in a year. Who offers this program?