Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft Server 2003 MCSA Certification Path
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 pm 

Hello all, I've been reading these forms for a long time now but finally I've brought myself to create an account to post. I am currently enrolled in a college course titled Server Administration, Windows Server 2003. The test book and lab book we use focus on the objectives and material for the 70-290 Exam. I currently have my CompTIA A+ (2003 objectives) and am working on my Network+. Here is the general path I had planned to follow as encouraged by my school teachers:

CompTIA A+ & CompTIA Network+ (in place of a Microsoft Elective)

Exam 70-270 - Windows XP

Exam 70-290 - Server 2003 Managing...

Exam 70-291 - Server 2003 Implementing...

One thing that my teachers have told me that I had a question about is that since Server 2003 and Windows XP are essentially the same OS (albeit with server functionality added to the server and disabled in XP) that it might be a better idea to take the 70-290 first and then take the 70-270 afterwards since it's basically the same test as the 70-290 but without the extra server components. I was wondering what any of you think. Also, I've not yet taken any of the Microsoft exams and I was wondering what I can expect as far as difficulty compared with the CompTIA exams. In my opinion the CompTIA A+ exams weren't exactly a cake walk but they weren't all that hard either. I was wondering if the Microsoft exams are similar or if they are indeed much harder as I've heard from various people. Thank you in advance for any worthwhile responses.

Post subject: MCSE
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:12 pm 

Hi,
I have MCSE 2003 and CompTIA Security+.

You want to take 70-270 first because there is going to be alot of same stuff again in 70-290 but much harder. So it will help you to get through it since you might be familiar with some scenarios. Microsoft exams are pretty hard though. You'll have to study a lot. Or you can cheat and buy the exact tests with answers to study from that and focus only on the right way how to do stuff and not to confuse yourself with the wrong way of solving problems and save your memory space too.

Post subject: Re: MCSE
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm 

Ladia - Audeum wrote:
Hi,
I have MCSE 2003 and CompTIA Security+.

You want to take 70-270 first because there is going to be alot of same stuff again in 70-290 but much harder. So it will help you to get through it since you might be familiar with some scenarios. Microsoft exams are pretty hard though. You'll have to study a lot. Or you can cheat and buy the exact tests with answers to study from that and focus only on the right way how to do stuff and not to confuse yourself with the wrong way of solving problems and save your memory space too.

If you do that, when you get a job you wont be very good at it. It is much better to learn the information.