Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Carreer planning (help)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:46 pm 

Ok so I am 15, and yes I am a noob.

Yes, I am not some savy computer kid.

If anyone could help me that would be the biggest help and thank you for your time.

so I am trying to figure out what to do with my life, I hear security is the easiest to get a job.

So since I am 15 and I am trying to get a start as early as I can.

I know a little here and there about stuff, but not much.

I have two computers, one is for bs and the other is for taking apart/fixing ect.

Does anyone know if I can buy books/take classes online for online A+ certification and take the test soon?

I plan on taking the A+ cert test before im sixteen so that I can join geek squad and that would just be some experience then until I get out of highschool I can work there for experience then where should I go for security ect.

I am just so lost so if anyone could help me that would be great thank you for your time!

please dont flame me thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:24 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

First, welcome to the forum.

There are books and stuff online that can help you with your A+ certification.
For the books, just look at your local bookstore, and they should have some.

Is security what you want to do? Because if you just do security because it's the easiest, you'll most likely hate your job. Also, if you do something you love, it will probably make it easier for you, because you want to learn it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:53 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

security depends on the level. A good security job requires a bit of know how.

Go to dice/monster. Look up jobs that sound like something you WANT to do.

I'm serious.

You're NOT looking FOR a job, but look at their requirements, to see what you need to do something you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 am 

ok, I geuss what I am trying to say is not the Easiest... But rather the more Successful Highest Paying job.

I love working with computers so pretty much any job besides typing up sheets in excel is good work to me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Dude, trust me, getting a job you like is SOOOO much more important than being paid well, if your doing a job you LIKE than it's not even really work any more, you have to think about just how long you will be doing it, and despite that fact that you might not make as much money, work will make up most of your life, so liking work is like having a never ending vacation............. dont pull a money grub on yourself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:02 pm 

Indeed, finding something you like is essential

Read the book "What Color is your Parachute" great resource for starting a new career

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I'll also vote for 'do what you love' .. it is the only way to ensure happiness.

Now, you're lucky enough to love doing something that opens a lot of doors. Computers are the future.

As for what career path you should take, I think you should keep all your doors open. You won't be entering the workforce for another 5-10 years and in this industry, everything can and will change in that time. When I started by BCompSci, the industry was dying and everyone said that there would be no jobs when I graduated .. and they were wrong.

So .. I'll give you some general advice:

If you like hardware, you can either design it or install it.

Installing and configuring PCs in a corporate environment can get you a decent paycheque and there will be work in the field. It requires a college diploma or some certs, but you don't need a degree or extensive schooling ... experience is more important for this career path.

Designing hardware is a more difficult career path that requires a degree in computer or electrical engineering. Here, you'll spend most of your time in front of a screen designing new hardware and testing it. Your math and physics need to be very strong and you should have a solid understanding of how computers work.

If you like software, you can either design it, test it, or install and administer it.

Designing / writing software is the basic 'computer programmer' job. You will need a degree in software engineering, computer science, or something related. Your math and logical analysis skills need to be top-notch. You can make good to terrific money doing this, depending on your skills and your willingness to work.

Testing software is often an entry-level career path to programming, though many (including myself) think that this is an industry-wide mistake. Testing software and writing software are different though related skills. You don't NEED a degree for most testing positions, but you will need one if you want to advance in the company. This is a great career path for people who like breaking things, taking them apart to see how they work, and bugging programmers when they find yet another bug. ;)

Installing and maintaining software is the last path I'm going to discuss. This type of career (System administrator is a common title) is very common and very easy to find work. You don't write software; you maintain the servers, applications, and PCs that are used by a company.

This ranges from administering an internal network of PCs in a small company to a huge network of networks (such as on a college campus). You could also find yourself admining networks used by large corporations such as AOL, MS, Google, or eBay. After all, eBay and MSN and all the other online services that you use always have someone sitting in front of a bank of monitors, watching and ensuring that everything is working properly.

Skills necessary for this career path include in-depth knowledge of operating systems (MS, Solaris, Unix are the most common) as well as the scripting languages (shell scripting and perl are good to start with) that glue the networks together.

You're 15. I suggest getting your feet wet and trying to get summer jobs and part-time jobs in as many different 'computer related' fields as you can over the next couple of years. The only way to figure out what you want to do is to do stuff and decide if you like it. ;) You'll be spending a minimum of 5 days a week, at least 40 hours, doing for years ... so take your time and choose well.