Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need new career path. Thinking about getting Certified
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Currently, I work at an aerospace company as a machine shop worker running Sunnen Hones doing precision bore sizing sometimes to tolerances of +.0003 / - .0000......as well as other duties, interesting? no, anyways. Only problem with this job is the no end in sight 58-60 hrs a week and ive been working (saturdays for 2yrs almost non-stop) and the fact im getting burned out almost everyday, and i have no life...Basically i dont want to do this for 40 years. Im still young(23) and i have no major financial obligations besides paying car insurance on a car that i own.

What i have as far as education:

2yr Associates Liberal Arts (AA) obtained in 2004

As far as getting certified, im thinking about building myself up from the ground up. I'm not going to leap into Cisco Certifications and other advanced certs from the get-go.

My idea as far as my goal is to be well-rounded(windows and linux) with emphasis on cross-platform, networking, and security. As far as the computer knowledge i have now, it turned into a hobby more then it did ever materialize into a career.

heres the certs im thinking about starting top to bottom;

Comptia: Network+ and Linux+ (Basics)

Microsoft: MCSA or MCSE? undecided (windows servers, networking)

Cisco Certification: CCNA (Setup and Configure Routers, more networking) and maybe the security cert

Redhat Certification (Enterprise Linux Servers) doesnt have to be this distro

What do you guys think? I would like to be able to land a entry level Administrative IT job. Would this look good on a resume?
Even if it takes to 2 years as long as i have a plan.

I dont think it would be possible for me to continue a 4 yr in computer science even though that would most likely be the best thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:00 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I will give you the advice I have always given.
As a former recruiter and a current manager:
You already have an AA. Why not spend 2 more yrs and get a 4 yr degree?

It will open many more doors for you, then someone with no experience and alot of paper certifications.

I'm not putting down certifications, but with so many brain dumps, alot of cert's are not as highly regarded as they once were (however, the RHCE, is still highly regarded due to the difficulty of the practical portion of the certification).

Im not trying to dissuade you from getting cert's. Just thought you might want to consider getting your bachelor's degree.

My degree was in Computer Engineering. That degree has allowed me to experience more job opportunities then would have been possible with certifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I have an AA but i bet atleast 10-15+ units are not transferable. So i would have to spend a whole semester, assuming i went back to school full time, just to get my transfer courses squared away. Plus i would need thousands and thousands of dollars for tuition, books, gas, and car insurance money, etc. On top of that, i must have medical insurance which i get through the union at my work, i have a medical condition that "can" become serious. I dunno if its possible to transfer back to my parents medical insurance if quit workingand start going to school again.

Hell from what im reading you gotta have a 4yrs and certs. So i guess the only right thing to do is get both.

So the new plan is to start taking nightschool classes and complete certs until im finished.

My head hurts im going to sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:29 am 

Hi Bomb
For your 4 year degree, look at http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/programs.asp
This is an on-line accredited school that when you complete it, will get you around 9 certs. This is something you can do from home. they charge around $2,700 every 6 months. This way you can get your degree and your certs at the same time. This killing the 2 birds with one stone. Go for the MCSE here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:45 pm 

I must agree with the others here; I have my AA degree and an A+ right now and am making in the mid 35k range but am currently enrolled in a 2-year college taking some interest courses (not for credit but to get me back in the habit of getting up early, going to class, doing homework, etc) in the computer field and am going back full time to a 4-year college in the Fall to finish up my BA in Computer-Information Systems. As far as certifications, the A+ is a good place to start and isn't that hard to pass if you have a year or so worth of experience working on PCs. You can also use it with the Network+ as an elective for the MCSA down the road.