Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Career Advice for a Family man
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I need your advice :)

Im looking to get into the computer field but I dont have the time to go for a degree. Classes and seminars have a much better chance of fitting into my schedule since Im married with 2 young children.

This is a make or break time in my life. Im tired of not making enough money and I really need to start taking the right steps to support my family and get into a solid career.

From what I do know about the industry I would be very interested in becoming a Network Admin or in the future maybe even setting up networks for companies per contract.

So, What classes should I take?

Whats the basic certs I would have to have to work on a help desk?

Anything you guys can tell me would be a great help.

I eagerly anticipate your replys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:46 am 

About the only thing I can tell you that unless you know someone who can get you a sweet gig or are just dipped in shit and get really really lucky you will not make a lot of money in the Computer field starting out. Especially without a degree. The market has become so competitive and saturated now that it's hard to make the big money unless you have a 4 year degree or can just get your foot in the door some where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:22 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

sorry but I dont buy into that if you dont have a degree your not gonna make it.

I know plenty of super nerds that cant get a job cause they dont have enough of a good personality to deal with people. Anyone remember the SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon? lol anyways. I have friends that have got jobs over other more qualified people because they had a great interview, were good with people etc etc.

Im not looking to make great money to start out.

I asked for suggestions on getting a help desk job....I mean 10bucks an hours... 12 an hour...here in NC would be just fine. I dont expect to make that little for forever but it would be a nice small step in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:48 pm 

endersshadow wrote:
sorry but I dont buy into that if you dont have a degree your not gonna make it.

I know plenty of super nerds that cant get a job cause they dont have enough of a good personality to deal with people. Anyone remember the SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon? lol anyways. I have friends that have got jobs over other more qualified people because they had a great interview, were good with people etc etc.

I asked for suggestions on getting a help desk job....I mean 10bucks an hours... 12 an hour...here in NC would be just fine. I dont expect to make that little for forever but it would be a nice small step in the right direction.

Yeh, but dont count on getting a good paying job that can support a family and have enough left over with no degree;
trust me after being at so many game developer conferences and other gatherings; Most of the competition is coming
from Asia and such, so with out a degree, your fucked, so to speak. BTW those must be awful employers, getting
someone that has less qualifications, with those with more; of course saying those both had good people skills :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:05 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

endersshadow wrote:

How close are you to the research triangle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Mikuro wrote:
endersshadow wrote:

Yeh, but dont count on getting a good paying job that can support a family and have enough left over with no degree;
trust me after being at so many game developer conferences and other gatherings; Most of the competition is coming
from Asia and such, so with out a degree, your fucked, so to speak. BTW those must be awful employers, getting
someone that has less qualifications, with those with more; of course saying those both had good people skills :D.

Like I said 10-12 bucks an hour would do me fine starting out. I dont think that is enough to take care of a whole family but with Government assistance it is. And then if I could work up from that point that would be great.

Oh and dont get me wrong about my IT friends, they happen to be qualified AND good with people.

Flytrap, research triangle? You mean like Greensboro/Winston Salem or charlotte or Raleigh Durham/Chappel hill?

Or you talking about out towards Charlotte.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:30 pm 

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

I saw some pretty good IT jobs on careerbuilder.com in that area last year. Might wanna start there and see what employers are looking for nowadays.

Post subject: Re: Career Advice for a Family man
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:54 am 

Let me try to answer your question.
If you want a help desk type of job the Microsoft cert would be the MCDST. If you want a System admin job the cert is MCSA cert. These are certs to start with. MCDST is concidered to be a begining cert and MCSA a medium cert. The MCSE is the advance cert. You can start with the MCDST and then work your way up riding on the previous cert if you wish ( as you get more money saved).
Next is how to learn this stuff to past the cert tests? The tests cost around $125 in the US to take ( pass or fail ). Since you have a family you need to go to some sort of school to learn the stuff or learn it at home. I bought a subscibtion to CBTDIRECT.com . For around $2500 ( they set up a loan program for me because I have a famaily also ) I have access to all their IT cert classes. The are Computer Based Training. Very nice and you can do it at home. I have been the IT for over 16 years but with the Dot com bust , there are alot of IT guys out there. I live near San Jose so there are alot of unemployed IT guys here but alot of jobs also. You just need something to sand out when the HR people are looking at your resume. The certs help , having a 4 year degree helps also. For your 4 year degree, look at http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/programs.asp
This is an on-line accredited school that when you complete it, will get you around 9 certs. This is something you can do from home. they charge around $2,700 every 6 months. If you have the time, you can take as many classes as you can complete. so if you are not working you could complete all your classes in a year. It all depends on the time you spend on the classes. This is where I am starting in april. I have lots of collage credit but no degree. In the competitive job market you need to stack the deck in your favor. I am getting a federal loan to pay for the school also.

Here are some places to look for certs and stuff...

http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/list-certifications.asp (this place tells you about certs and how cost effective they are)

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/
a great place to learn about Cisco certs when you want to prepar for them.

This is a lot of typing but I hope it helps. If you have any questions I will mark this post to notify me of a reply. I am not an expert but I do know how it is to get certified on a budget. I figured I do not need certs nor school , and they may be true , but it is alot harder finding a job without them. Life is a game and you need to stack the deck in your favor as much as possable. Just look at what companies say they want when they post jobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:31 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Re: 4 year degree
Some firms will not hire a candidate without a degree. The company I work for won't even hire HelpDesk personnel without a degree. Universities are the proving grounds these days. Companies feel that if you didn't have the motivation, education and perseverance to get a degree, then you won't be a good employee. As mentioned above, the IT/Computer market has become saturated after the late 90s and early 00s, so people with experience and certs are easy to find (and you have no work related experience?). You need to know someone in order to land a job with any type of growth, and then if you don't have a degree (even with all of the certs in the world), you have a pre-defined ceiling.

Certification is like icing on the cake. Certification is usually a short-term time investment, in contrast to a 4 year degree. Given the choice, companies will take a degree over a set of certificates (sans experience) every time. Usually, they will want a degree AND certifications.

My advice to you is that if this is a crucial period in your life where you want to make a serious change in your future.... go * to * college, it is the best investment in yourself that you can make. Start out at a CC and get your AA/AS (2 year degree) and then transfer to a university. You will often get better professors at a CC since they are there for different reasons than university profs (funded studies). CCs are also cheaper and give more flexible class hours, classes will probably be smaller too.

Once you get out of school, you can always get certs later (get work to pay for them!) and then increase your value (with that company or another) and you'll have many more options. A few extra years of time now will pay off in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:38 am 

Skilless wrote:
Re: 4 year degree
Some firms will not hire a candidate without a degree. The company I work for won't even hire HelpDesk personnel without a degree. Universities are the proving grounds these days. Companies feel that if you didn't have the motivation, education and perseverance to get a degree, then you won't be a good employee. As mentioned above, the IT/Computer market has become saturated after the late 90s and early 00s, so people with experience and certs are easy to find (and you have no work related experience?). You need to know someone in order to land a job with any type of growth, and then if you don't have a degree (even with all of the certs in the world), you have a pre-defined ceiling.

Certification is like icing on the cake. Certification is usually a short-term time investment, in contrast to a 4 year degree. Given the choice, companies will take a degree over a set of certificates (sans experience) every time. Usually, they will want a degree AND certifications.

My advice to you is that if this is a crucial period in your life where you want to make a serious change in your future.... go * to * college, it is the best investment in yourself that you can make. Start out at a CC and get your AA/AS (2 year degree) and then transfer to a university. You will often get better professors at a CC since they are there for different reasons than university profs (funded studies). CCs are also cheaper and give more flexible class hours, classes will probably be smaller too.

Once you get out of school, you can always get certs later (get work to pay for them!) and then increase your value (with that company or another) and you'll have many more options. A few extra years of time now will pay off in the long run.

Exactly....same thing I basically said just not in so many words. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Phosphorous wrote:

Exactly....same thing I basically said just not in so many words. :wink:

:wink:

OK, I'll change my post to, "Ditto what Phosph said".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:56 pm 

:lol: Don't take it the wrong way...I was just trying to point out the fact that I was the first to reply to the post, but even though I've been in the field for over 10 years, got shot down because he didn't like my answer. Yet everyone that has replied after my post basically added to what I first said. I've worked Help Desk for a good bit of that time. Trust me, I know what the market is like. I live it every day. Maybe now he'll believe us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:18 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Phosphorous wrote:
:lol: Don't take it the wrong way...I was just trying to point out the fact that I was the first to reply to the post, but even though I've been in the field for over 10 years, got shot down because he didn't like my answer. Yet everyone that has replied after my post basically added to what I first said. I've worked Help Desk for a good bit of that time. Trust me, I know what the market is like. I live it every day. Maybe now he'll believe us?

Hopefully.

PS: My previous response was light-hearted, no worries (I didn't take it the wrong way).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 pm 

yup. the poster said he did not have time for collage. I also gave him some options ( on line) to get a degree from home for the family man also. Because it is hard without a degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:23 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

guyvii wrote:
yup. the poster said he did not have time for collage...

:P :lol: :P

Tell him to give up his arts-n-crafts hobby and think about school.