Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lifetime Warranties
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:14 pm 

I read a lot on these forums and consistently see Members recommending replacing this or that motherboard with an eVGA Motherboard because it has a lifetime warranty.

What good is a lifetime warranty in a rapid changing computer environment? Motherboards with a 3-5 year warranty will most likely be obsolete in 3-5 years.

CarolinaGuy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Funny that you mention that. eVGA's lifetime warranty, isn't exactly a lifetime, but a lifetime of that particular product. Say for example, you have an OC'd 6800GT and it toasts on you. eVGA will replace that for as long as they are still selling that particular model, which is probably less that the 3-5 you stated anyway. So know you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:52 pm 

And just for the info, as a General Rule, PC hardware is actually obsolete about 6 months BEFORE it hits the shelves for you to purchase. By the time it reaches the stores, the factory it was made in has already been retooled to make the version designed to replace the version which was designed to replace the version you just bought. But most any time you can get a decent, or better then decent, warrantee, you are time, money, and TROUBLE ahead by doing so. If you anticipate replacing it in at or less then a year, then a long(er) term warrantee would be a waste of your time. Unless of course that product with the good warrantee cost equal to or less then the NON warranteed product. Then, if nothing else, that warrantee would likely cause the item to hold higher resale value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

nebulaz wrote:
Funny that you mention that. eVGA's lifetime warranty, isn't exactly a lifetime, but a lifetime of that particular product. Say for example, you have an OC'd 6800GT and it toasts on you. eVGA will replace that for as long as they are still selling that particular model, which is probably less that the 3-5 you stated anyway. So know you know, and knowing is half the battle.

First off, this topic is in the wrong area.

Secondly, why don't you show me where it says that on eVGA's website? I coulda swore it said for as long as the original customer has it in their possession.

As far as lifetime goes, a lot of folks end up "handing down" their main rig to their kids, a family member or a charity cause. If something fries during its time with you, and you have an eVGA product, you'll get it replaced with either the same type of card or something better.

I'm sure eVGA comes out for the better in the end because of all the folks that just get rid of their computers when they buy a new one. Sure, Lifetime from eVGA is more marketing than anything, but it's sure nice to know that warranty is there just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Quakindude wrote:

Secondly, why don't you show me where it says that on eVGA's website? I coulda swore it said for as long as the original customer has it in their possession.

Not the Website but from a credible source, here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:04 pm 

Quakindude wrote:
nebulaz wrote:

First off, this topic is in the wrong area.

Well excuse me I did not mean to break the rules; but if this is not education at least on my part I guess I just wasted all those years of my youth in College.

Thanks to everyone for their response.

CarolinaGuy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:12 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

nebulaz wrote:
Quakindude wrote:

Not the Website but from a credible source, here

Until they change their policy in writing on their website, it's Lifetime as far as I'm concerned.

Paul Lilly knows his stuff, there's no doubt about that. But for now, it still says lifetime is defined as how long the original purchaser has it in their possession.

Quote:
For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

* All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive full lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

eVGA wrote:
This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product

To me that sounds like the kicker. I infer from "For the life of the retail product" that as long as the product is being made. :? Who knows for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:29 am 

was this not talked about NVIDA and its life time warranty?
Life of the product. How are they going to replace the motherboard if it is not in production nor in the warehouse. If they replace your motherboard with a newer model, then is the new board covered by this life time warrenty or is it void becuase only your now stone age board was covered. Thus I just need to change you MB once ( let us say 3 days after you buy it it goes back and I change it) is the warrenty gone now.
It does not really matter what is written down, it is how it is interpeted by the law when you try to enforce it. Just like you can not force someone to serve you in a store ( within some other limits of the law that do not like prejudic ).
Just be ready. I would ask the company EXECTLY is a life time warranty and save the email. IMHO