Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: i think i can?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:00 pm 

The article in the February 2006 issue on build your own pc makes it seem so easy. This would be my first time building a p.c. Is it really that easy like the article says? Are there any books or sites that give you a exact step by step guide to building a p.c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm 

yes you can!

Although there is some things you need to know, like for example, 775 socket processor go with 775 socket mobo. LAMO

I advise you to check this out. It came from other forums called Help me buy/ help me build.

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23907

also

check this out, it tell you how to build your own pc!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/static/html/ ... gtips.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:57 am 

There was at one time even a PC Building for Dummy's, or words to that effect lol... Building a PC nowadays is actually a lot simpler then it was with the old 286, 386, and 486 systems. And a darn sight cheaper too lol.
Now, about the single most difficult task is deciding whether to go with AMD or Intel and get the appropriate MoBo. Then decide between DDR or DDR2 RAM and whether to go with SATA for drives or just stick with EIDE. Because most any MoBo (new) out there supports both, and if you chose one that doesn't, getting the expansion card to add the feature isn't THAT hard to do.
Then, you chose your MoBo, but ANY brand of processor would likely fit it. Decide whether to go with SX or DX (Math Co-Processor present or not), then you has the fun of tracking down the type of RAM your chosen MoBo would work with. Parity, Non-Parity, Fast Page, EDO, or any number of various types made to Emulate one style or another. Plus every RAM stick had to match exactly, same type, same style, same speed, and often you couldn't even mix different BRANDS of the same type. Then you had some minor fun with getting the assorted extras like a Floppy Drive and/or CDRom. IBM 3.25 Floppy Drives were mostly considered best, but would not work on anything other then an IBM system. Maybe you still had need for one of the monster 5.25 Floppy drives, even though the discs for them only held about half what a 3.25 holds.
But all told, technicalities aside, even then BUILDING a PC wasn't that difficult. If it doesn't fit there, it doesn't GO there lol... If your chosen MoBo had only 8 bit expansion slots, you wouldn't have much use for 16 bit cards. Although if the MoBo offered VESA slots (used shortly, just prior to the release of PCI) then you could use the VESA cards, or any of the 8 or 16 bit cards you wanted. Then you chose your O/S, while most went with MSDos, there were quite a few offerings out there and most were compatible across most platforms. Chose any extra programs, such as to have Windows or not lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:05 am 

Do you have anyone in the neighborhood that could help you out if you get really stuck? Do you have a computer that will stay hooked to the internet while you build a new one? Are you willing to do the research BEFORE you start? I am a Medical Technologist that knows no one that is into computers like I am. I have built about 12 systems now and have enjoyed the process of every single one. You can put together exactly what you want and you will know more and learn more about your system and what it can and can not do. I have stayed up till 0400am trying to find out what beep codes mean and pulled my hair out trying to install the correct videocard driver. It is all part of a learning process and I highly recommend that you go for it. You won't learn if you don't try. The internet connection is your best friend as most everyone is very willing to walk you through problems. Ask about your system before you buy it and go with what you can afford. You can still put together a much better system $ for $ except at the lowest end... I doubt anyone can beat Dell or the like at the low end.
So, YES, you can do it. It really isn't that hard. Just prepare ahead of time and jump in there with some patience in your back pocket.
patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29 am 

On the first system I built, I got LUCKY, at least in agreement with Patty's comments. Not only did I have a friend, locally, willing and able to either answer any questions or else GET those answers, but He was also the supplier for all my parts. So that I was assured of having the right drivers the first time instead of having to chase around looking for compatibility that wouldn't create issues. That was for a 386 which carried a whomping 8 Megs of RAM, the video card held actually carried all of 512Kb of dedicated video memory lol... With upgrade options going all the way up to 1 whole meg. Later on I got to move up to 2 whole megs of video RAM, and then I was really cooking with Gas lol...