Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finally...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:58 am 

Well, I'm finally going to take the plunge and get my A+ Cert. I've been a tech in the field for about 10 years now, have an Associates in Information Science and Tech. from Penn State, and have been playing around with computers since I was a kid.

With all this I'm still nervous about taking the exam. I'm not a big believer in certifications over experience, but I'm at the point now where I think I just need to get some extra power behind what I already have for future jobs chances and promotions.

I took an online A+ course a year ago. I just bought the All-In-One Exam guide by Mike Meyers and CompTIA A+ Complete Fast Pass.

Anyone that has taken the test have any good advice on the exams? I hate tests with a complete passion. I never feel like I'm ready for them now matter how much I study for them and I never feel like I get anything out of the studying. I've just always been a bad test taker no matter what I've tried. Just looking to see if anyone else has the same problems and maybe have some ideas on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Finally...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Phosphorous wrote:
Anyone that has taken the test have any good advice on the exams?

I took the exam at a Prometric center a few years ago and at the terminal I took it at there was an option that allows you to mark questions, so what I did was I marked all the questions I knew I had gotten right, so when I reached the end of the exam I checked how many questions I had marked so I could get a good idea of how I did.

Last edited by Flytrap7 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

By now you might as well just wait till the new 2006/7 whatever it is, comes out and study for that. They have completely redesigned the direction of the test and style of questions. I was passing the Practice tests from my book all 3 with 98-100% every time I took them and got a 753 on the hardware test, 550 passes and 900 possible. The problem was the book/CD was published in 2002 and the tests were revised in 2003. I still have to pass the OS exam, studying now and going to take it hopefully soon. :cry: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:35 pm 

The new style is out and ready. The online course I took was dealing with the OS/Hardware style tests.

The new books I just purchased and received in the mail are dealing with the new tests:

220-601 Essentials Exam (required)
220-602 IT Technician
220-603 Remote Support Tech (helpdesk, callcenter)
220-604 Depot Tech (all hardware based no customer interaction)