Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opportunities afforded by Degree and National Guard service
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:57 pm 

A while back I posted a question about the issue of stand alone certs, verses certs and a degree, in regard to a realistic advancing career, and I was given a fairly decisive, ( and appreciated ) response. Basically my intuition was confirmed, that the Bachelors is really the only way to go.

At this point however, having decided that I am going to take that direction, I have another question. I'm thinking of enlisting in the National Guard to help offset the cost of tuition. I want to get a degree in Networking, and get certified in Network +, Linux +, Security +, and Server +, then either MCSE or CCNA and then CCNE. My question is, will National Guard service open any doors to career opportunities in the government sector pertaining to these skills?

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:05 pm 

It could but it will all depend on you MOS. I know also in some states they have active Guard positions open which are in IT. If you could land one of them then you would have a leg up. Also depending on which state you are in the Guard pays a certain percentage of state college tuition and you get the GI Bill. I went and got an AAS and a BS in computer systems and IT all for under 10 grand left to pay back. I had nothing but student loans I could get. So it benefited me well. It also has helped me get some gov contracts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:52 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

You may also think about going into the reserves, as they may have more noncombat jobs, and therefore you may have more opportunities to get a job doing networking that will benefit you more in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:27 am 

True the reserves have almost no combat positions but the state tuition to college being paid is huge. In some states at a state college like University of Wisconsin for instance is 100% just pay for the books. The reserves have no program similiar to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:28 am 

Being former military (assuming your honorably discharged) will get you a small veteran preference when applying for government jobs. Being a disabled vet gives you a bigger one. Basically the entire application process works on a points system. The one with the highest points gets the job. Points come from a wide variety of factors. A veteran gets a 5-point bonus, a disabled vet gets a 10+ point bonus depending on degree of disability. In reality, being "prior service" doesn't really get you that much of an edge.

Frankly, unless the military is really for you, I 'd find another way. I was active duty USAF for four years. But whether you're Active Duty, Reservist, or Guard the military is a lifestyle not a job. A number of aspects of your personal life are affected by being in the military and are, in fact, regulated by the military. So, unless it's really for you, find another way.

Federal student loans are pretty much guaranteed regardless of credit history. So, you can probably pay for school that way. Considering compensation packages for IT professionals, paying back your loans shouldn't be much of a hassle.