Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about a degree on computer science
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Can i get into the field of network security if i get a CS degree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm sure you could but Network security would usually fall under Computer Information Systems which is a business major.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:19 am 

As far as whether IS/IT degrees fall under science, mathematics, business, or their own college really varies by institution. A number of large university have created colleges of "Information Science & Technology" in which case IT degrees fall under IT. The whole concept of an IT degree falling under math/science or business is becoming outdated.

Degrees are paper. I've hired people with masters degrees in CompSci, their MCSD, and they also taught undergrad programming classes as adjunct professors and when they get to work they can't code worth a damn. Likewise, I've hired 19 year olds who have nothing more than their high school diploma but turn out to be excellent developers. A college degree has more to do with follow-through and achievement than a realistic litmus test of what people may or may not know.

Many schools are offering concentrations now. For example, you could get a degree in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Software Programming, Networking, Database Management, Network Security, etc. It varies by school. Private schools always seem to be more current than state schools when it comes to degrees that apply to current employment trends.