Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network Administrator vs. Programmer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:24 am 

If you were teetering on the fence between Network Administrator and applications Programmer (Java, VB, ect,) and you were at the point in school where you had to choose, which would it be?

There are things that I like and dislike about both of the fields, but I'm having trouble committing to one or the other. I do remember, not all that long ago, where the experts were saying that all of our programmer jobs were going to India. The pay for a programmer looks good, but I don't want to move to India. I also have a friend that is a "babysitter" as she calls it, the pay is so/so but there really isn't any way to outsource this kind of a job.

Which would you choose? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:36 am 

Programmer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

First off there are a broad range of jobs moving overseas. Everything from whole IT shops, programmers, engineers, manufacturing, etc. So just about every field has been affected by outsourcing.

I certainly would not factor outsourcing in your decision.

Which do you enjoy the most? That is what you should focus on.

I have been a consultant programmer and I made a very very good living doing that, but I hated it ever minute of it.

Do you have programming experience and if so, in what environment? Was it part of a team or just a school project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:44 pm 

Man w/e you choose im happy for you just dont go for somthing like hardware/software tech it sucks lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:26 pm 

I enjoy programming quite a bit, but I find Java much more enjoyable than Cobol.
a) I don't know that I will be able to pick and choose what I get started in.
b) Are software firms really hiring 'newbs' with only an Associates?

I watch the classifieds every week and I see a fair amount of Administrator positions. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a reason for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:56 pm 

Well as a programmer you know what job your are doing writing code. A network admin well could be doing a million in one things. I've noticed several admin positions open some are even entry level. They want people to do a variety of things. One I read was actually a programmer who they were giving the title of net admin. They wanted extensive programming experience and a CCNA. It is totally funny to see this. You never know what a network admin may do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:37 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I would take network admin any day of the week.

Like it was said before, do what you enjoy most. The other little details will work themselves out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:43 am 

I agree with you net admin is the best way to go if you hate writing lines of endless codes. Kingfish I see you live close to Baton Rouge LA. We aren't known for being big on IT lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:17 pm 

Take a look at most salary analysis websites. Developers make more than networkers or DBAs at the senior level.

I've had plenty of employers tell me "If only <insert network administrator> could code." but I've never had one say "If only <insert developer> could administer the network".

Likewise, I know a LOT of developers that can hop over and assist the networking side when needs be, but VERY few network administrators that can hop over and write code when needs be.

Besides, at least as a developer I can cruise home from work at 5PM without being leashed to a pager and cell phone. Coming in at 3AM on Saturday because nobody can print isn't my idea of good career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:58 am 

I was a Netword Admin, DB Admin, Software Engineer, etc. for years. The jobs involving code are going overseas...yet, all business' need someone to take care of the networks.

For job security: Network Admin. For pure enjoyment/challenge: Software Engineer.