Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A+ & MCDST
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:14 pm 

Hello All,

First post here on this great forum....I have a question regarding the A+ test and also the Microsoft MCDST.

I just purchased Mike Myers book on taking the A+ test (Passport to A+ certification) and I have begun studying it pretty hard. I have heard that CompTIA is planning on changing the A+ tests sometime in the near future. Does anyone know if this book will still help, or will the test be changed so drastically that I should have waited until new books are developed? Does anyone know when exactly the "new" tests are supposed to be released? I would really like to pursue getting my A+ certification, however I really don't want to get caught in a transition. Any insight that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the MCDST. I have been looking at the requirements for this certification on MS website, however it seems kinda confusing. I understand that there are two seperate classes, or courses needed for this cert, however is this something that can be pursued on your own, or are you required to actually attend the classes? I have found the required books for both sections at my local bookstore, but I just wasn't sure if this is also a self paced cert, or if sitting in an actual classroom is required. I have found the needed classes for the MCDST cert in my area, however they are close to $1K each :shock: I think I would much rather pursue this through the self study option if its available. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:07 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

No looking at the website and the requirements page you do not need to take the classes. You only need to pay for the exam and take it wherever they are given.

I wouldn't really drop much $$ to get prepared for this (ie: taking classes etc) just get a book or two b/c the exam will be costly enough. It will help but I don't think this is a highly sought after cert. Its kind of like the A+ of Microsoft. I would probably look toward something else. However if your looking to get started in the Desktop Support field this will probably give you an edge. I may be wrong so if I am someone please correct me.

I'll try to take one of the practice exams and if I can I'll link you to it and tell you what I think of it.

EDIT: Ok nvm there like $99-160 minimum package, :shock: well...I would probably get a good book or maybe even two books and study for it. Just make sure you understand everything 100% and if you feel unsure of your ability to pass get some practice tests. Just buying the practice tests and doing them until you know all the answers is the wrong way to go about a cert. That teaches you very little and will give you limited knowledge in the real world. Just remember when you are working instead of taking a test, there are no multiple choice or hints or true/false.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:42 pm 

Great advice. Thank you very much. I was kinda hoping that I somehow could avoid spending $1K to take each of the courses in order to obtain the MCDST. I will continue to study the A+ book, and go get a copy of the MS ones soon after. Thanks for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:19 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

:D Glad I could help. Good luck on the exams.