Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Do you think its worth to take an A+ certification class?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a video seminar and a book at home do ya think its worth to pay money to go to school for an a+ certification course?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Just from studying my A+ book, I'd say its not worth it. But that ultimately depends on how fast a learner you are when you read to yourself. And how comfortable you are with computers already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well basically i have using computers like since the age of 8. Im 17 now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:05 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

It also depends on your future plans and your resources. I wouldn't go to school for A+. Its $300 between the Core and OS exam, and its just the very basic stepping stone cert.

If you need to get started, as in working in an entry level position to work your way up, then you might need to dump the money into it. However if your going to go to school, focus on getting good grades. Through school you may be able to get an internship which will begin your rapsheet for experience. It comes down to this, use your money the best way you can. IMO thats school, whether its an AS, or BS. You'll get more out of it, however many people are successful with just certs. There seem to be alot of variables.

Time
Current Knowledge

If your not hard up for cash then if your ready take it, get it outta the way. But if you have alot of experience and some other guy doesn't if your both competing for a job the employer will likely pick you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:39 pm 

I think you should just take it. First off, it's not that hard. There is in fact a lot of out dated info you'll need to learn (logical bandwith of an ISA slot), but some of it you'll need (standard IRQ settings for Windows 95/98). If you've been using computers for that long of a time, you'll get it. I wouldn't go to school for it, but I would still study for it. Go to school for your degree. Study on your own for the certifications and save some bux. I say get your A+. Most entry level jobs require it anyway. Then start working on your MCSE or RHCE (whether you're a windows or linux person).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

If you've never built a PC before then going to school is good becasue they let you take one apart and put it back in one piece again.

If you've done it before I say get a good book because they run through the material so fast you'll end up reading the book any ways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Im going to school for computer science as i posted in my other post. And yes i do know how to build and troubleshoot some pc problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well im screwed because i wanted a job in computer repair. I probably know more then "professional geek squad members". This sucks the only job i can work is at fast food returaunts. Maybe its my 17 years of age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:09 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Matter of fact I was browsing the BestBuy site looking into working in the PC service area, that way some people could actually get real help :lol:

I noticed a requirement to work for the home service Geek Squad is 21 yrs old.

To work inside you gotta be 18 too I think or maybe 17. I would never drive those cars or wear those uniforms but I need money so I'd be willing to put up with those know-nothings inside to make a buck or two. Hell of alot better than factory which is where I've been the last year. Good money though for having no requirements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:51 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

how do you acutally sign up for the tesT?

Post subject: A+ new test coming, where to sign up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:38 pm 

I have A+ cert. http://certification.CompTIA.org just sent me an email regarding the new set of tests. Right now it consists of an OS test and Core (hardware) test. These 2 will be combined into Essentials (sort of), then the second test will depend on your choice of industry (602-604, with 605 pending). Enterprise, Remote and Depot Technician are the choices. This exam will go live by December and the 2003 objectives are scheduled to be retired March 07.

At this point everyone has enough time to do the 03 objectives, which is what they are recommending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:12 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
well im screwed because i wanted a job in computer repair. I probably know more then "professional geek squad members". This sucks the only job i can work is at fast food returaunts. Maybe its my 17 years of age.

I'm 19 and have been around computers since I was born pretty much (I changed my dads BIOS password when I was 6) and I have taken apart, troubleshot, and repaired computers since I was twelve but I cannot get hired onto any PC vendor stores near here. It isn't for lack of experience or degree but just age. I wouldn't go for your A+ unless you are really eyeballing a job that requires it. My dad never even bothered to get once until 2 years ago (he would have been 41 then) and he got it just so it could be put on his résumé. For youngling likes us however I would wait and go for internships like Anilat3r had said. At my college I am a Lab assistant and an intern for the school computer repair shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Some schools use the A+ cert classes as requirements for the more advanced classes, like my collage has. I had to complete both tests before I was supposed to be allowed to take my Net+ and Sever (70-290) classes.

(My school allows you to take a test early and if you pass its a atoumatic A for the class. )

Also on the subject for jobs, I have seen more and more job openings being posted at school that are mentioning A+ as a definite plus or requirement for the job.

Will also add internships, through a collage or tech school are a great way to pad your resume. Shows you have relevant work experience.