Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are there tech jobs for people without college?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:18 pm 

Greetings all. I need a bit of help. I'm looking for a computer job. However, I don't have any college. It seems like all the jobs are for people witha BS in Computer Science. I'm ready to take the A+ exams and training for my Network+. I used to run my own side job in Sonoma County, Ca. fixing/building computers, till my car broke down. I know a lot about computer hardware, and different OSs, but I can't find a job. Is there some job site for people that don't have degrees besides www.snagajob.com? snagajob has all those bogus listings like "sell Ebay from home" and "earn $5K/month doing nothing" (last one was an exaggeration by the way). Is there anyone in Flint, Mi, looking for a computer technician? I'm going crazy only being able to work in retail or grocery stores. (Produce departments sucks).Any help would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:47 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

http://www.Intel.com/jobs/

Look at all the Cali campuses. Many don't need a degree. Even temp work gets you in the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:49 am 

Hey Chumly, I've actually already tried that and with no avail. Besides, I'm moving from San Francisco area to Flint, Michigan. There isn't any Intel sites in Michigan. I used to work at PC Club, and Best Buy. I also used to run my own side business fixing computers. I called it Gigahertz PCs. I know the name sounds a bit corny, but it was only up and running until my car wasn't. I don't have my A+, Network+, etc., but have been studying and know a lot about hardware, networking, and some software. Does anyone think I have any hope for a computer job? I'm moving in a week and don't really want to apply at Target or Meijer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

To sum up: it can be done, but it is more difficult and likely to result in less pay.

This holds true until you build a resume with several (at least 5) years of experience .. at which point, the playing field starts to level.

Look at it this way: there are companies and corporations that will not hire you or will limit your advancement if you do not have a degree.

There are NO companies that will do that if you DO have a degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:58 pm 

That's what I was afraid of. Now I just have to find a company near my home (for I don't have a car yet) that will take me even though I don't look very good on paper. Do you think even with a few certs under my belt, will I still have a very difficult time in finding work. By next Febuary, I plan on getting my A+, Network+, and Linux+ or Server+. What about then? I think it might be a while before I can go to college cause next week, I'm moving back to Michigan after 13 months of living in the Bay Area, California. College will cost me an arm and a leg till I've been a resident for year or something. Thanks Jipstyle. Your words do still leave a little hope for something other than "paper or plastic?" (pardon my rambling by the way too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

if you are moving back in with your parents in Michigan, you should be able to use their address and get around the out of state tuition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:51 pm 

Good idea Frances. I hadn't thought of that actually. As for the jobs, all the tech jobs in Michigan seem to be requiring at least a AS in CS "or related". Is it really hard to find an internship with a sysadmin or something? Should I offer to work as their assistant for free? I need some experience. This is frustrating to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:34 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I am in the same boat, have knowledge in hardware, a little in OS (Win98/XP). In school for AS in Net Admin. However I have no paper behind me. Its all on the side work and knowledge gained on my own. I live in a small city with virtually no jobs. The metro's around have some but they are all over my head at the moment. None of the local computer shops have anything open...I just want a job to make $$ for getting through school, however I would like to start getting some exp.

The only advice I can give you, if you can afford school go...especially if they might be able to get your foot in the door.

I live in Ohio only place well known closest to me is Cleveland, I'm like a half hour away from Akron. I go to Stark State, yeah they don't have no BS, but its a cheap school. They are very well known for job placement, I have heard 95% of their students graduate with a job. Matter of fact I have only finished my first week, and my PC Upg/Maint / Intro to Networking teacher already has 1 or 2 jobs to fill.

I hope he gets more because I dont want to work at a gas station or stock boy! I hope I can get some more $ coming in from fixing PC's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:01 pm 

I know what you're going through Anilat3r. Well most of it. I never was able to finish high school, so I need to get my GED before I start College. I tried to enroll in college, but they require a diploma or GED for the classes I was trying to take. As soon as I get settled, I plan on attending the local community college while training independantly for my certs (A+, Network+, and possibly Linux+) By that time, I'll be able to land a job somewhere doing some computer work. Is it me or does it seem like employers see us (guys like us who fix PCs) as disposable? I mean, common. Were not programmers. Fixing computers is a skill honed with time, thought, and learning. We have a skilll; a very marketable skill at that one. Why can't we find computer work? It' quite frustrating to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:28 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

IMO School/Certs is the best way to go, especially if you can get some of the basic certs while your in school. For instance my course is going to prepare me for cisco CCNA, so I'm going to knockout the A+ and maybe the Net+ during that time. I hve a PC Upg class thats for preperation of A+ but I already read MikeM. book were using a newer version of the book to study.

Hopefully things will work out, and definitely get your GED and into college. Unless you live in a very populated area or large city, you'll have an extremely difficult time landing a job with basic certs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:12 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chumly wrote:
http://www.Intel.com/jobs/

Look at all the Cali campuses. Many don't need a degree. Even temp work gets you in the door.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/31/Intel ... off_16000/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:17 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Try the military. The Navy and Air Force offer some excellent opportunities and when your enlistment is over you will have that five years of experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:09 am 

Actually, I tried that over a year ago. The armed forces look at you first to be a soldier, then as anything else. (at least that's what a former army personell officer told me) Next. (Seriously though, I had forgot about that. That would work, were it someone else)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:22 am 
Northwood
Northwood

ahale1987 wrote:
Actually, I tried that over a year ago. The armed forces look at you first to be a soldier, then as anything else. (at least that's what a former army personell officer told me) Next. (Seriously though, I had forgot about that. That would work, were it someone else)

That's true. It is the military after all and their main function is to fight. The Army has probably the widest range of IQ of all the military. Everything from Phd brilliant to single digit. Look into the Navy or Air Force. Make no mistake they are still military but they tend to be a bit less strident about it. Plus they have the better tech education opportunities. I'm ex Navy so I will admit to a bit of bias but I do think they have the better options in the areas you are interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 am 

Do they take people with AIDS? I know the Army and Marines don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:02 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

ahale1987 wrote:

Haven't checked lately but I don't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:06 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ahale1987 wrote:

If you're HIV positive, none of the military branches will touch you (literally or figuratively). The liabilities of such a soldier would not make it worth the time, effort, and money necessary to train them.