Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Developing my computer skills for employment.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Ok..I just started working at Barnes and Noble which gives me a 30% discount on anything in the store. I plan on spending a good chunk of change on some computer programming, A+ and some other computer-related books. I'm doing this because I love computers and I need to start thinking about a career that involves them. Can anyone recommend any good books and/or classes to take that would get me somewhat prepared for this?

My interests are as follows....

-Computer building
-Computer repairing/Troubleshooting
-Networking(I have no experience with this yet)

...I'd like to learn how to program....but I don't know where to start. I'm a complete n00b and I have no idea which programming language does what...so any help on that would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I get paid every week and each time I plan on buying a different book, and I plan on starting this next Friday.

I'm a really fast learner and I'm pretty smart but because my Highschool didn't offer anything of this nature, I'm having to go this route. Any help is much appreciated.....thanks!

-Adam (a.k.a The Ler) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:00 am 
Northwood
Northwood

It sounds like you could use more focus first. It's cool to gain experience in a variety of IT niches, but it won't be terribly helpful towards a career. What aspect of IT interests you most? When you're trying to get hired for it, you're better off being a master of one niche than a novice of many. (in IT at least)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Well...probably networking...I like jobs that have a beginning, a middle , and an end....so Networking might appeal to me....Plus I'm good at putting stuff together. I have no experience with programming but I think I would like it...even though it sounds tedious. I also like to help people out with their computer problems...so maybe help desk or something like that....

You're right though...I do need focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:21 am 
Team Member
Team Member

...If I wanted to get a job setting up and maintaining computer networks what would I have to learn/ be a master of?

If I decided on getting a job in the help desk area of computers....what are the relevant classes/ certs/degrees?

Does anyone here have any experience in programming as a a career? and if so, what is it like? Is the job rewarding or satisfying...or does it drive you out of your mind?

I'll ask more questions as I think of them.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that money really isn't important to me..I would rather have a fun and rewarding job with mediocre pay than a high-paying job that made me want to die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:22 am 
Northwood
Northwood

TheLer wrote:
Well...probably networking...I like jobs that have a beginning, a middle , and an end....so Networking might appeal to me....Plus I'm good at putting stuff together. I have no experience with programming but I think I would like it...even though it sounds tedious. I also like to help people out with their computer problems...so maybe help desk or something like that....

You're right though...I do need focus.

Ever thought about security? It would require college (not sure what you're plans are) but it's a great mix of programming and network. Security is also one of the niches that you won't see a lot of outsourcing impacting. You can't say the same for programming. Networking is a great niche also though I think the ceiling is higher in the security realm.

You could play with cool things like honey pots, IDS boxes, firewall configurations, packet sniffing, wireless deployment etc. It's a real open field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:25 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Do you know of any place that I can learn about what the different niches do on a day to day basis....like what would I be doing if I went with security?

I plan on going to college...in a few months I'm gonna pick up some classes so I can get the basics like english and math out of the way...I might pick up another language as well.

Also..thanks a whole lot for the info Dented....this career problem has been bugging me for a long time.