Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: i'm wanting to start my own business
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:47 pm 

i'm wanting to start my own business. i've been flip-flopping over whether to build computers & sell them. or just repair computers. or both. sometimes i think repairing computers would be easier & cheaper to get off the ground. the problem with that is i don't know enough about computers to charge people to repair them. i think a+ or some other cert would be beneficial. i have a bachelor's degree, but not in computers. (i'm 36, married with a child) is it worth it to get a degree? if i do go back to school, it will have to be part-time. i think if i did sell computers, that it would help me earn more money if i repaired them also. not that it's all about the money, but when you're starting your own business you need all the help you can get. also, computer repairs could be a source of recurring income. :)

i've been reading the charges from geek squad. i've saved myself a lot of money. formatting drives, installing software & hardware. that's the easy stuff. i can do that.

Post subject: Good Luck!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:25 am 

Im an IT tech for a local company and I repair pc's on the side, but there is sooooo much competion now cause everyone thinks they can fix and build computers these days.

Best bet is to start small to test the waters and see how many people are doing what you want to do in your area. Dont bite off more than you can chew.

And Education is always a good thing, even if you dont start your own company.

Post subject: starting my own business
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:09 pm 

thanks for the reply...good advice...