Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Geek Squad.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:01 pm 

Do you guys have any idea how much Geek Squad charges for their services?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 pm 

Too Much...
Whats the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:07 pm 

Trogdor wrote:
Too Much...
Whats the problem?

LOL, I'm asking because I want to charge for service. Don't want it to be to high.

How much should I charge per hour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:08 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I concurr with Trogdor. Besides, the Geek Squad isn't exactly known for their technical skills ;-)

If you're referring to the password problem, then I hope my solutions help. (Trogdor, see this thread.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

scenariox wrote:
Trogdor wrote:
Too Much...
Whats the problem?

LOL, I'm asking because I want to charge for service. Don't want it to be to high.

How much should I charge per hour?

Thats totally subject to your area - from what I understand...

For example, I used to live in a very large city, and I charged 75 bucks an hour, and that was cheap for a lot of companies (I charged 45 for residential).

In the area I live now - I'm charging 25 an hour for residential, and 50 an hour for commercial... I'm only about 20% cheaper than everyone else...

I'd consider calling a few "computer repair/consulting" firms to get an idea of their prices - and charge accordingly..

NOTE: It would be unethical for me to suggest that you always undercut the competition - so please understand I'm only suggesting that you call them to get a baseline... <Six - does that cover me?>:P

Tuathal

Course - you'll need to find out what our royalty fees are for online help and factor those in :P (j/k)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

One of my friends had geek squad hook up their router. For $150 an hour! They should have just asked me, there's only 3 cables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am the computer dept supervisor at a bestbuy and I don't know what geeksquad agents you have dealt with before but the ones at the store I work at are actually very skilled. As a matter of fact, there are strict requirements and certifications they have to have completed before even being able to be part of geeksquad. As far as prices go, it depends on what services are being provided. I know we don't charge by "the hour". Charges are based on work being done. If you have any specific questions on costs, just ask me a specific question and I will tell you what we charge for that service.

Last edited by Laus3 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Unfortunatly Laus3, most of the so called geek squad don't have a clue what to do with computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:32 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hdt83 wrote:
Unfortunatly Laus3, most of the so called geek squad don't have a clue what to do with computer.
TRUE THAT! I've personally gotten 3 clients that just came from the geek squad in my area in the last couple months. One guy had both his HDD's formatted because they didn't understand what RAID-0 was and how to use it. He lost all his data, and they said he needed to buy a new computer because the HDD's tested to be both broken, and the PSU has gone out. The cost of fixing his would be more than the nice gateway on the shelf... Problem: bad power switch. But now, since geek squad messed up his array I also had to zereo-fill the drives, then reinstall windows. WTF? You know? WTF were they thinking???

There may be good geek squadians out there, but where I'm at they are complete n00bs who shouldn't be allowed to log onto a computer, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:41 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

OK, before we get too focused on the worth or non worth of the Geek Squad, I am sure the service varies from area to area and store to store as to technical competence. All of that here nor there.

Rates to charge depend on the geographical area. While a rate of $100 / hr. may fly well in NYC or LA it would not fare well here in the Cleveland, Ohio burbs. When I do bother to get involved I typically look to charge a business about $75 an hour with a two hour minimum. Residential I look for $50 / hr. Relatives and neighbors bear a 12 pack of Corona minimum cost.

If I look at a machine and go click, click problem solved I take $25 and move along.

Again, lets focus on rates and not local support providers competence levels.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Why is this in the free clinic? Shouldn't it be somewhere more appropriate?

Thankfully, I've never had to have someone come look at my computer. I've had the forum guys help me figure out how to solve my problems, with a little google reasearch. And from the sounds of it, I'm thankful for that fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:27 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Thank God (or whoever started it) for this forum.
I'll NEVER let anyone touch inside my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:10 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

yeah, well to most of us, someone else touching the inside of our computers is just taboo. It's like being molested. To others, it's something like going to a mechanic. In my short time of helping others, i didn't have a rigid pricing plan. i simply guaged the price on the problem and the owner's attitude. Some i've had say "I don't want to know, just fix it". Those have an expensive visit. I had one that would freak out at the slightest little thing. "Ma'am, your printer is simply unplugged........" Oh my God!! How did that happen!! It didn't screw anything up did it?? How Much is it gonna cost??". That type i usually take pitty on. I didn't make that last one up. She had a 233Mhz Machine. I told her that she should go to Wal-Mart and get a new machine for $300 and she said that was out of the question because she paid $2300 for that machine a number of years ago. She also asked if i thought her machine might still be under warrenty. I told her that if it was a car, did she think it would still be under Warrenty? she no longer persued that line of questioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Well, if I built my own car, completely from scratch all by myself, I wouldn't take it to a mechanic if something was wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:35 am 

I would never let geek squad lay their grubby hands on my precious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Guys lay off the Geek Squad they are doing the best they can. Besides it is not like GS is Network System Admins or anything Weather or not there know what a RAID 0, 1 or 50 was isn't really the case; 99% of the machines that they see need either a HDD installed, RAM replacement, windows errors, etc...

As far as what to charge, here are some of the prices I charge:

-For memory install I charge $20.

This is assuming I don't have to take the whole PC apart to put it in. Sometime older DELL or Compaq machines do that on purpose just to piss me off (hide the ram slots under everything including the PS).

HDD replacements, $40 w/ format NO OS install

Motherboard replacement, generally $75

OS errors
Easy - $30
Medium - $65
Hard - $125

Spyware or Virus - $225

Data Recovery from a severe HDD crash not just error message and can't boot to windows or formatted drive $400

Easy recovery $100

Video editing with full chapters and music $210
Hope that give you an idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

My rates, roughly:
Residential: $45/hr. 1 hour minimum. Each additional hour rounded to nearest quarter.

Business: $60/hr. 1 hour minimum. Each additional hour rounded to nearest quarter.

As has been said, the rate you can charge will vary depending on your geographical market. Calling around as mentioned above, generally the quickest way to feel out the competition.

A couple thoughts from someone who has been consulting on the side for a long time. Focus on quality, not your price. You'd be surprised what people are willing to pay for very competent service and a reliable tech. More importantly - never undercharge a client to get the work. You'll resent the time you end up spending and your work will eventually reflect it.

Exceptional service for a fair price. (Keep repeating that while you click your heels together)

I won't make any specific comment on Geek Squad except to say they are one of my biggest unintentional referrers. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:36 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

i've got a geek squad at my local best buy, i try not to look at them. I can probably fix problems better than they can for free. and im only 15 yrs old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I too was wondering about pricing. For a while I was just chargin $30/hr no matter what the problem was. I'm still kind of new to a lot of "in depth" PC stuff. I can replace/install any hardware issue and most simple software stuff. It's the software stuff that gets me confused once in a while...lol Guess that just comes with time and lots of reading and playing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:19 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Going rate in Florida is about $50 dollars an hour.