Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Makeing the $
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:47 pm 

What field make the most money? Im just wondering ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Let's see, acting, pro sports, fortune 500 company to name a few. LOL I'm not sure in the electronics field. I am an Electronics Technician in the Navy (10 years) and am WAY underpaid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:30 pm 

I want to start doing something with computers but I really dont know what. I like building them but all these large companys use machines for that. I want to see were all the money is made at first.

Semper fi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:23 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well computer scientists, computer engineers, and electrical engineers can make a lot of money, so can network administrators. I've also heard that with the right certifications you can make a lot of money that way.

Edit: spelling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

the most boring fields make the most money - networking, next down the list would be programming, below that - pc repair - the fun stuff, like game level design, well, that would be right at the bottom of the earnings list.

Oh, and at the top would be large scale network engineering - cisco systems routing/bridging/backbone design and that sort of ilk.

I work in the CATV outside plant design field - doing the outside engineering and many of the plant electronics engineers find it a nice career/pay boost to get cisco systems certifications. That field would be electrical engineering at a four year college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If you ever want to crack the $100k barrier you will have to go into engineering management. There are engineers making over $100k but they are far and few betwen and usually live in a HCL area.

There are two routes for that: an MS in MIS, or undergrad engineering and then MBA.
The 2nd option offer more job opportunities then the first.

But I have to caution you to not focus on salary. I have seen many people burn out in fields they truly did not enjoy. Its very difficult to motivate yourself thru college if the coursework is boring to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:57 pm 

:x
<---network admin

Boring? Noway I love this job! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

do yourself a favor, and follow the path that most interests you. With a degree in CS or IT etc, you will make enough money to live comfortably. Would you rather hate your job and live more comfortably. Or live comfortably and be happy doing what you do.

And besides, In my area, programmers make more $$ than most others. I think because it is one of the harder degrees to get because of the math requirments and all.