Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ITT Tech...The Truth
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:32 pm 

Okay Im looking at going to school for IT more then likely for a BA. Degree. Ive had a bad experiance with Devry as far as how there classes were taught, for example for the class id walk in sit down the instructor would say this is what your going to be doing in the lab, this is what its going to look like now go do it. Someone would ask well how do we do it, and the instructor would say hold the questions for the lab ill be there to assist those who need it.
So does anyone know if ITT is anything simular to that? Or anything else about the school before i waste money again on a shitzy school? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm 

well since theres no one thats responded either thats good or bad. Good cause theres nothing bad that anyone knows or theres just no one that goes there that reads these forums....hmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:14 pm 

It really depends on what ITT site you are going to. Sometimes you get a lecture type instructor. Other times you get the kind of instructor that gives you a sheet of paper with an assignment and says go at it.

In my opinion ITT is not worth the money. It still isn't respected in the workplace. You will also pay around as much for going there as you would for a state school. If not more. You might as well go to a regionally accredited university. A state school will open the doors to future employment a lot wider. You also wouldn't have to make up the many credits needed to prep for a master's program. That is if you decide to do that in the future.

P.S. Yes...I did go to ITT.

Last edited by dasherjan on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:24 am 

Hmm thats what i was wanting to know. It just seems that these tech schools make it look alot easier to get the skills you need and the degree alot easier. State school it seems to be a harder route cause you can only get a Computer Science major and thats it. The other skills you learn later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:02 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I am a 2001 Grad of ITT and i know that my instructor was a lecture and hands on for labs so it is 100% depending on the school and the instructor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Sidious,

I certainly do not want to knock anyone that has received a degree from ITT or Devry, but I can tell you from a management perspective, you would be much better getting a traditional degree from an accredited 4yr university. Most hiring managers discount the schools you mentioned.

Yes 4yr schools are harder, but thats the point. That is why managers place a greater weight on those degrees versus the ITT/Devry type.

When I hire a new college grad, I know they pretty much do not have any hands on experience. Its their ability to learn that I am looking for.

In addtion, you can gain valuable experience while in a 4yr school by participating in internships or even better, co-op programs. A new grad walks in with a 4yr degree and a great reccomendation from his co-op supervisor, he/she is golden.

I just cannot emphasize enough how important a 4 yr degree is. It will open doors that you wouldnt expect. I have a tradition degree in Electrical & Computer Enginner from Univ of Fl. That degree allowed me to work everything from software engineering, college recruiter, software consultant, to my current job as a manager of a HPC/Modeling group. I would have never attained those jobs with just certifications or a degree from ITT/Devry.

But on the flip side, there are many positions that will accept a degree from ITT/Devry, just not as many.

As for not being able to obtain the necessary skills in a 4yr program, that really comes down to your drive to make yourself a better candidate. Fresh out of college, my first job was coding (ANSI C) safety control systems for Nuclear pressurized water reactors. I never took a C class in my entire life. I sat down and taught myself. But my degree, grades and co-op experience, was enough assurance to my employer I could handle the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:06 pm 

Thanks to all who posted remarks this was what i was hopeing to get as far as response goes. I had always prefered a 4 year program but never knew which way to go about and the itt/devry made it look all easy. Just a grip of money something like 400 a credit hour. I live in the Phoenix area so i quess ASU is the best bet ill have to look into it thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:10 pm 

Sidious:

I will have to agree with markmark69 on what he is telling you. Again, not knocking ITT or Devry but a traditional school is the better way to go. One thing I would have to ask is whether or not you trully get a recognized accreditted BS degree from ITT? Many of the "for profit" schools give the impression that you will earn such a degree but in reality you don't.

It has been my experince that , whether you like it or not, people coming out of those types of school are traditionally seen as the technicians and not the engineers. Trust me, that can make a world of difference at times. The other thing that I would have to say in defense of a traditional degree from an engineering school is that you will learn the scientific/engineering approach to problem solving. I have yet to see that trully taught in the other schools.

Speaking from experince but ASU is got a very well respected name in the computer science/engineering world. A friend of mine just had her son graduate from there with that exact degree and he had an internship with Motorola and now he is working there as a FTE.

Also there is something to be said about having to take the "non-related, non-technical" general studies classes. By taking those you are exposed to other thoughts and other ways to look at problems and the world itself. This in general will make you a better person and should make you a better employee. If all you wanted was a decent general technical education in that field to be quite honest the Maricopa Community College system has a very decent program but if you want more than just the general than go for your BS.

If I am being biased towards a traditional school I am. I am a alum of ASU. I got my BS in '81 and my MSE in '95 from there. If it is the time that you think it will take to go the extra and get the degree it goes by a lot quicker than you can believe. Also it is cheaper to go to ASU than to the other schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:57 am 

yes, i think so... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:24 pm 

Don't know if we can post links in here but you want the truth?
Google "ITT under investigation"

Definitely not a school I want on my resume but that is just me.
DeVry on the other hand has a far better reputation.
Took some courses there and they transferred over to a state school along with my military experience. I eventually received an AAS for only a fraction of the price it would of cost me to graduate from DeVry.

All schools are overpriced (especially for profit schools like ITT).
Do yourself a favor and get as many grants as you can.

ITT from what I have heard is certainly not worth the money they charge per credit. Don't get suckered into any student loans from any school whatever you decide to do. It will take forever to payback student loans.

State schools don't produce quality graduates either. I can attest that many of my coworkers have masters degrees and PHD's from well known state schools and they don't know how to log into a windows computer. That's why I would hire a graduate from DeVry over any state school script kiddie that didn't learn anything but how to do a beer bong in 5 seconds flat! :P

MIT is hands down the best school left in the Nation for IT/CIS but not many can get into that school. :D

Last edited by itpro on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ITT Tech...The Truth
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:35 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Sidious wrote:
Okay Im looking at going to school for IT more then likely for a BA. Degree. Ive had a bad experiance with Devry as far as how there classes were taught, for example for the class id walk in sit down the instructor would say this is what your going to be doing in the lab, this is what its going to look like now go do it. Someone would ask well how do we do it, and the instructor would say hold the questions for the lab ill be there to assist those who need it.
So does anyone know if ITT is anything simular to that? Or anything else about the school before i waste money again on a shitzy school? thanks

I went to DeVry in Canada and from a teaching and environment standpoint was very satisfied...

I had done research into public colleges, universities, and other private schools such as ITT and found them all fundamentally lacking in one or more areas.

I would say your experience is more an exception, possibly a geographic one. I would, however, stay away from ITT Tech if you want more than a six month or one year certification course.

If you want a technology degree, re-consider DeVry, or just go to university.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:05 pm 

WOW I didn't even know they had DeVry in Canada!
In Illinois, where DeVry started, they currently have 3 campuses and they continue to grow exponentially.

Evidentally DeVry is a "University" now. When I went to school there in the 90's they were still classified as an Institute.

to sid:
I agree, you're better off going back to DeVry unless you can find a state school that will accept your earned credits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I recently got my BS in IT, and was planning on taking the ICND exam, but lucky for me the company that is hiring told me not to worry about it. I was very surprised, but they said they would teach what I needed to know.

I got hired by Toyota america btw, starting at 45k and plenty of room for promotion, Im still young :lol: (23)

The associates is better than nothing, but only slightly. It will give you an edge over someone that has no post highschool work, but not against the 4 year degree'ers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:29 pm 

Okay, lets get this back on track. Kind of...

So I am attending an on-line college (regionally accredited) to get my Associates in IT / Networking and eventually transfer to a four year degree, probably Computer Information Systems....

Do employers look upon these degrees any differently than those from a traditional school?

TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:36 pm 

No a degree is a degree but just make sure its nationally accredited.

I have an Associate's in IT that I earned in 6 short months. Sound like a scam or diploma mill? I was skeptical at first too but it is possible.

If anyone is interested in following the fast track then see link below...it will help steer you in the right direction.

fixed link: thanks phospho
http://adulted.about.com/cs/fasttrackop ... degree.htm

--note--
Excelsior College is endorsed by Microsoft, nationally accredited and they accepted all my MCSA certs and military exp & training as college credit.

For example, you can work on both IT certifications and take some courses online from any school of your choice-pass go collect 200 dollars-submit grades to Excelsior and next thing you know you are a few credits away from a bachelor's.

Last edited by itpro on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:16 pm 

ITT IS a 4-year accredited school...if you plan to go for a BS degree. It is not the easy route, they are engineering accredited and they are highly respected among employers (I asked many). In some areas I can say that they are even more difficult than at least a regular college in that they don't baby you. They give you the tools, you have to use them. I am an ITT student and believe me I've had my doubts about this school, but in the end I do know a few people who have graduated from here and are doing pretty damn well for themselves. There's my two bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 pm 

San diego ITT?
I know exactly where that school is. I visited that campus twice.

That school was a total turn off for me when they told me how much they wanted for tuition plus there was no parking.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:12 am 

itpro wrote:

I have an Associate's in IT that I earned in 6 short months. Sound like a scam or diploma mill? I was skeptical at first too but it is possible.

If anyone is interested in following the fast track then see link below...it will help steer you in the right direction.

http://adulted.about.com/cs/fasttrac...fastdegree.htm

--note--
Excelsior College is endorsed by Microsoft, nationally accredited and they accepted all my MCSA certs and military exp & training as college credit.

For example, you can work on both IT certifications and take some courses online from any school of your choice-pass go collect 200 dollars-submit grades to Excelsior and next thing you know you are a few credits away from a bachelor's.

Well I thought Nationally Accredited only meant that other Tech Schools and Vocational schools would accept your credits if you transfered... Are there not seven regions which all (accepted) colleges and universities belong to? This is what University of Phoenix is as well as other online universities.

Any word on how employers feel about these degrees?

TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:20 am 

itpro wrote:

http://adulted.about.com/cs/fasttrac...fastdegree.htm

--note--

I tried your link and it was a little messed up. Didn't take you to anything regarding fast track adult education so I googled and found a new link:

http://adulted.about.com/cs/fasttrackoptions/a/?once=true&

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:24 pm 

they changed link again?

Last edited by itpro on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.