Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:42 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Phosphorous wrote:
I think the A+ cert is bullshit anyways. 90% of the stuff that is in there is either outdated or you'll never need IMO. I've done the course, but feel it's utterly useless for me to even bother with the test. Any dumbass can pass it so to me that doesn't really seem useful. There's a guy here where I work that all he did was take practice exams till he had all the questions/answers memorized. Does he know computers any better because of it? No.

I disagree with you completely. But that's OK. Any examination is worthless is you study for the purpose of passing the test. If you study the subject to learn, use the objectives as guidelines and the exam as confirmation - you'll always be the better person (or tech) for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:08 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Phosphorous wrote:
I think the A+ cert is bullshit anyways. 90% of the stuff that is in there is either outdated or you'll never need IMO. I've done the course, but feel it's utterly useless for me to even bother with the test. Any dumbass can pass it so to me that doesn't really seem useful. There's a guy here where I work that all he did was take practice exams till he had all the questions/answers memorized. Does he know computers any better because of it? No.

I gotta agree with ya to a certain extent. I've taken a couple classes myself and one was for A+cert basic hardware. I also found out you can just memorize exams as well and most likely pass. But, what threw me was the need to know stuff like "How many registers are in a first generation pentium blah blah." How the hell is that gonna help anyone?? Is someone with a pc problem going to ask you, "You know, i got a problem and need to know the amount of registers in ..." lol So, to sum it up I havent taken any classes since then yet. Still thinking 'bout getting it though, just be nice to have under my belt. But, we'll see. // I feel ya on that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:53 pm 

Memorization only works with the CompTIA exams but not the tough ones like Cisco.

Net+ questions look like this... Which tunneling protocol is used exclusively with IPSEC?

a)L2TP
b)PPTP
c)ESP
d)3DES

That's easy.

Microsoft questions on the other hand all start out with a long drawn out boring scenario. Example: You are the newtork administrator of a Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 domain. All servers are Server 2003, Enterprise edition and your clients are a mixture of Windows 2000 Professional and XP Professional. Server11 is a file server supporting the HR department's Distributed File System blah blah blah etc;..
You want to configure Server1 and Server11 to communicate securely in tunnel mode. What should you do first?

If all you did was memorize a 1 sentence definition for IPSEC then you will be in serious trouble.

The last time I checked with my former teacher, who happens to be on MCSE exam board and writes the darn things, he said that both server and infrastructure exams had a pool of up to 5,000 different questions in the bank.
Nearly impossible for any normal person's brain to absorb that much info.
It would much easier to just read the OC and understand the concepts before taking the exam.

Memorization alone=failure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:11 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Certifications would regain alot more weight if they would switch from multiple-guess to hands on like RHCE.

I routinely screen candidates with certifications and no experience with a brief hands on test. It may be harsh, but after being burned by two hires that obtained their MSCE via brain dumps, you dont pass the hands on, you dont get a job in my organization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:57 pm 

Yeah, unfortunately much of the industry is saturated with brain dump earned phonys.

I have more respect for some exams over others. MS hired and contracted a company that does a great job safeguarding the questions from those braindump sites. For instance, displaying randomly generated questions etc;..

Ofcourse, this doesn't prevent some test takers from spelling out word for word every single question they can remember but it certainly does put a damper on the next in line expecting to get those same exact questions. I heard they revise them accordingly and can authorize a "pull off" if any one of the exams become breached.

I do know this...some of these study guide companies offering "Real Exams" have been busted paying those dumb enough and willing - to enter the exam room with tiny hidden camcorders. WOW
Should come as no surprise since there are plenty of cheaters out there. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't think they like hiring people at bestbuy for the Geek Squad I have an A+ Cert and My Cisco Cert and they still would't hire me until i was 18 ( I was 16 at the time) Maybe they just dont like people that are smarter than they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Grappler_130 wrote:
I don't think they like hiring people at bestbuy for the Geek Squad I have an A+ Cert and My Cisco Cert and they still would't hire me until i was 18 ( I was 16 at the time) Maybe they just dont like people that are smarter than they are.

Its not just your know-how, its your selling skills :shock: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:17 pm 

Not everyday employers see a 16yr old with a cisco cert. WOW

That's quite impressive and bestbuy should have hired you at 16.
:!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:05 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thank you

I own my own buisness now and am making way more on my own than I ever would at best buy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:42 pm 

I'm still pretty much a newb at computer tech stuff. I read a lot, but all I have to work with is old computer parts. (Can't afford any new stuff yet.) I used to want to work for Geek Squad. I went in to a Best Buy about a year ago and asked one of the managers of Geek Squad what would be expected of me to get a job there...he asked me if I had any sales experience.
That was pretty much all I needed to hear.
I'm still in the early stages of computer tech work, but from what some of you are saying, it sounds like I'm advanced compared to some of those Geek Squad guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:32 pm 

Update on a geek squad employees. It seems I was wrong about geek squad.
This may be rare but I just learned that someone who knows more about computers than me actually works at best buy but was too ashamed to tell anyone. When I heard the truth I almost dropped because this kid is super smart. Thought I would share that with everyone. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:24 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

what about circuit city's firedog? are ther any "real" tech support peoplez?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:27 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

i went to radio shack to get some parts for a radio, and the guy helping me didn't even know what a PNP transistor is. talk about n00b. my gandfather is 98 years and he even knows how to write in C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:37 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

whelderwheels613 wrote:
and the guy helping me didn't even know what a PNP transistor is. talk about n00b.

But if he did, I'm sure he'd be happy to sell you one for $8.79 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:39 pm 

Not that I know since I've not worked there and have never needed nor desired their help, but I would imagine that almost any/all of them who did have a certification or who have gotten one would likely have moved on to bigger and better opportunities within the field. I know that even with just an A+ and less than a year of experience you can land a job that pays much more than their starting wage which I'm sure it pretty low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:50 pm 
Stewie Federation (2 Million)
Stewie Federation (2 Million)

The only thing stopping me from getting a job with them is that I'm under aged and I need to give them my social security #.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 am 

Phosphorous wrote:

I've noticed that this seems to be the view of many who have either NOT taken the actual exam, or have NOT passed it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

itpro wrote:
lol@ridiculous looking car.

I'm still waiting for some rapid return fire comments from the registered geek squad members to defend themselves. :wink:
I guess they truly are n00bs.

Teehee like they'd know how to put in the URL to get here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:44 pm 

whelderwheels613 wrote:
what about circuit city's firedog? are ther any "real" tech support peoplez?

not at firedog, thats for sure. Mostly because they expect their firedog guys to do PC tech support, PC repair, Home Theatre troubleshooting and installation, and god knows what else. Nobody that would actually work at a CC would be able to do all of that stuff...if they did, they probably work for a better company.

As for the Geek Squad...certification is no longer mandatory, but is preffered (aka "if you have it, thats cool..if not, thats okay too, sort of") It does have to do somewhat with sales skills, mostly because you do spend just as much time talking to customers from behind the counter as you do fixing stuff...there is not two sets of guys, salesmen and techs...they expect you to do both.

Yeah, the car is ridiculous (note that it is spelled correctly), but both of the guys that I know that were the in home agents at my store were damn good at what they did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

im jealous....CCNA at 16. Im 22 and dont have it yet