Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about geek squad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Do you need a certification to work for geek sqaud?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I believe you need A+ cert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:49 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Nope.

I got some Geek Squad tards in one of my networking classes. They have no certs, and don't give a shit.

They're not very tech savvy either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:49 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Only a couple of the ones I've met seemed capable enough to be certified.

(isn't it fun to hate on the Geek Squad..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I was talking to someone at Best Buy and they were saying how much better Geek Squad was before Best Buy took them over, and just started hiring anyone for Geek squad. Also from my personal experiences the people who work in the computer section of Best Buy know more then Geek Squad. I had a question about a hard drive and Geek squad wanted to reformat my entire computer, but all that was wrong was that the jumper pin was in the wrong order from the way it was shipped. They wanted to erase all my data because of the default position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I don't think the computer department guys know too much either. I was building a computer and realized I was out of thermal paste. Radioshack would have been cheapest, but they were out, so I went to Best Buy. I asked the guy working there if they had thermal paste. He said, what's that is that a software program or something? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

gam3r4eva wrote:
I asked the guy working there if they had thermal paste. He said, what's that is that a software program or something? :roll:

Did you laugh at that response, because I would have.
I guess it depends on the Best Buy store for who has more knowledge, but in my experience that seems to hold true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:57 am 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
the ones at the local store here are just as clueless.... they get paid to stock the shelves. Since Best Buy took them over they aren't even required to have A+ anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:55 pm 

Quote:
the ones at the local store here are just as clueless.... they get paid to stock the shelves. Since Best Buy took them over they aren't even required to have A+ anymore.

Quick! Aisle 12 is out of Post-It notes! Recently-aquired-by-a-conglomerate Geek Squad to the rescue!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:50 pm 

I get pissed off when stores (especially computer stores such as CompUSA) hire people that have no technological knowledge at all. It just baffles me why you would hire a tech illiterate, to give tech advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:49 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LoL couldn't agree more. The guy that runs the zinc melt furnace at my work knows more than Geek squad and he can't even turn a computer on! He told me his buddy who went to school for 8 yrs for computers said you can't fix Gateways b/c they lock the hard drive... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Question about geek squad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Do you need a certification to work for geek sqaud?

At one point you did...not any more apparently.

I applied for it a few years back, but got turned down because I wasn't A+ qualified. At the time, and now, I do consulting work for what the Geek Tards can't fix (which is about 80% of what they deal with...oh, system won't power on...just get a new system)...and old customers who got ripped off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:04 pm 

Geek Squad WOW

lol
If you trust some pimple face noob with zero experience working on your computer then call Geek Squad.

Best buy employees don't know anything and always have to go find a manager if someone has a simple question.

overheard this while shopping at BB one day...

--
female customer: "can you please tell me what I need to buy to burn songs on a CD so I can listen to them in my car? "
--
employee: "umm I think any one of these, ones should work"
hands her a set of 16xDVDs
--

me: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LoL I would have told her that jackass didn't know what he's doing and introduced her to the CD-RW/DVD-RW section.

I tell everyone I know steer clear of Geek Squad, I do service/repair and I guess you'd call it consulting on my own anyway so its a good way to get more business for myself.

Geek Squad = Wicked NoObage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:34 pm 

Oh believe me I had to jump in and said pfffft here you go, you need to get these blank 52x CD ROMS and asked if she know the max speed of her CD ROM - made the kid look really dumb in the process.

Still laughing at the noob... I told her... never ask them for help b/c these nabs don't know anything.

He turned brite red in the face before he eventually walked away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I used to work at frys....they wouldnt move me to service (repair) department no matter what, yet they always hired these real idiots that had no damn clue into service....I did make a lot in commission (about 3.5-4k a month) which means lots of margin for the computer sales dept but even still they could have just hired some idiot to lie for sales and have someone in repair that wasnt gonna screw up the hardware ppl brought in. i used to get sooo steamed about that. i believe with geek squad they have the same thing frys has, can go into service but you need to get a+ within 3 months yet for some reason i also noticed those techs that werent already a+ always got extensions for 6-9 months.....which is really dumb considering the company was paying for the exam, they shoulda just canned the lamos that couldnt pass the test and hired someone possibly more savvy into service...that department had the longest qeue for transfers in the entire store

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

The new application for Geek Squad apparently consists of just one question:

Would you be caught driving around in this ridiculous car?

:lol: :P

Geek Squad seems to fill Best Buy's need, not the customer. I certainly doubt it's going to take you anywhere in a career that studying wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:57 pm 

lol@ridiculous looking car.

I'm still waiting for some rapid return fire comments from the registered geek squad members to defend themselves. :wink:
I guess they truly are n00bs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:06 pm 

i hear that geek squad just has a cd they run in ur computer that supposedly finds minor errors n corrects it idk its very dumpy for the shit load of money u pay n wtf is up with paying like 50 bucks for them to install ur graphics card HOW LAZY CAN U BE? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:47 pm 

I think the A+ cert is bullshit anyways. 90% of the stuff that is in there is either outdated or you'll never need IMO. I've done the course, but feel it's utterly useless for me to even bother with the test. Any dumbass can pass it so to me that doesn't really seem useful. There's a guy here where I work that all he did was take practice exams till he had all the questions/answers memorized. Does he know computers any better because of it? No.