Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: College Choice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey Everyone,
I need some input on this becuase it quite realistically affects my decision in choosing which college will be right for me. Today I found out I was accepted to Drexel University but I have already started my process to attend Rider University (still a good school) in IT (Infomration technology and Systems). I'm really crossed on which i should attend but I have the following to weigh:
1) Rider offers more support for students where Drexel is more on your own
2) Drexel has a great reputation and masters program
3) Rider has an MS BS/BA as well
Links:
http://www.drexel.edu/catalog/GRAD/IST/msis-index.htm
The Class I want to take:
http://www.drexel.edu/catalog/ug/ist/it-index.htm

Rider:
http://www.rider.edu/172_1643.htm
(This allows me mroe time to also get more Ceartifications)
Any help or Input you can provide will help!
Thanks!
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Quote:
Rider offers more support for students where Drexel is more on your own

this completely depends on your study style... if u learn more in class u might need the support, if u learn more on your own (and u feel u have the DISCIPLINE to learn independently) go w/ the other one

reputation is important... but only matters if u perform well (not saying u wont)

for example: a student w/ a 2.0 at Harvard vs. a 4.0 at U of Miami... the 4.0 wins.... but if they both have the same stats then school would be considered

as for the masters prog... u can apply to any school for entrance into their MS program... but I believe preference is given to students at their school

unless u have signed yourself over to one school... i dont think it maters if u switch

i guess this goes w/out saying... but if u have the choice b/w 2 schools always go w/ the better one (all other elements aside)

hope u can make sense of that... ultimately it is your decision, just take these things into consideration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Steve,
A few things. First congrats on wanting to get a degree. Anyone on here that has seen my posts, I strongly favor degrees over certifications. So many companies will not even consider you w/o a degree (I dont care if its in Art History)

The 2 programs are you are referring to are distinctly different. The Rider program is more of an MIS program which is oriented towards business management (Ie management of technical workers). The Drexel program is more technical oriented.

That being said, I would look at 3 things in order of importance:
1) Class size. I graduated from a major university and the avg class size was 40+ for all of my senior level engineering classes. Granted, I had multiple offers before graduation, but I wasnt the best trained engineer. The ability to have face time with your professor is so beneficial. You wont get that in an undergrad class with 250+ students.

2) Co-op program. I cant stress this enough. As a former recruiter, if you participated in a multi-year co-op program, and you produced solid results and your co-op employer can provide a letter of reference, that will trump EVERYTHING. I saw many 4.0 students that could not answer basic engineering questions, because they just did not have real-world experience. I think this is one of the biggest things students overlook and colleges do not emphasize enough. Plus if you do well enough in the co-op, typically they will offer an entry level job upon graduation or recommend you to another company. I used to receive many co-op resumes via other companies.

3) Career resource center. This is the divison at a school that helps you find a job before graduation. If the schools CRC is sub-par, your chances of landing a job become infinitely more difficult.

On first glance, Drexel is the better known of the two schools. But that doesnt translate into a better educational opportunity.

Have you visited both campuses yet?

Also, most colleges maintain lists of where graduating students found employment. They love to brag about it. So ask if they that have information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I visited both schools and got a perspective from both studebts in the majors that I want to do. While Drexel is significantly diffrent because of trimesters and Co-op I think it is the right choice for me. My most difficult factor is choosing something that can help me. I am technically a learning diabled student, due to ceartain factors it takes me more time then most students to elarn ceartain things. So I am trying to compile a list of questions to ask the college if anyone can give me some tips on asking for help in technology (Information) I would appreciate it and thanks for your great advice !! ^-^