Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Networking Exp needed
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:25 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

This is my delima. I am looking for work. I have a 4 year degree in film. I have my A+, Network+ and an MCP cert. Been working doing Desktop for the last 6-7 years.

I need to get into the Networking Admin area. Any ideas? Are there any schools that anyone knows of that deals with Network Admin classes only? I learn best hands on the books don't really do it for me.

My problem is I have no exp doing anything but desktop and finding it impossible to get into the networking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:08 pm 

I'm in a similar boat, I'm great with desktops but I have no true networking experience. For me, I had to bite the bullet and go to school. As far as schools that offer Network Admin classes only, those are expensive and don't give you anything but a participation certificate :P They prepare you to take tests only, but I guess if you want the paper certification without the rest of an education, it's probably not the worst thing you could do. Those schools are easy to find, I've seen plenty at job fairs. I would start in your local paper if you live within 60 miles of a major city. The trick in your case I guess would be to finish without books......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I live in ny and im going to alfred state college for network administration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

job corps did it for me. im 19 and have like a year of hands on experience with networking. getting down and dirty under houses, running cable, terminating, setting up networks, building computers stuff like that. its kinda hard finding classes that have hands on stuff, its mostly all work at your own pace boring book work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:34 pm 

I have the same problem as well. I'd love to get into the Networking realm of things, but stuck in Helpdesk support for past 8 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I was in a similar position while I was going to school to get a BS in IT. I didn't want to graduate without having much real-world experience, so I got an (unpaid) internship at a small tech support company. Post graduation, a friend of mine told me about a network admin position that had just opened up at his company. Now, I run networks for three seperate locations. I never would have gotten that position if I hadn't told every single person I knew that I was looking for a networking job.
Luckily for me, both companies were willing to take me on as unexperienced employee, and give me time to learn and develop my networking skills.

-thunderbass